Topic

Piute Pass, Humphrey’s Basin, Italy Pass, Seven Gables Lakes, Merriam Pass

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Piute Pass, Humphrey’s Basin, Italy Pass, Seven Gables Lakes, Merriam Pass

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I'm leaving this weekend for an eight day trip in over Piute Pass to explore the Humphrey's Basin, Italy Pass, Seven Gables Lakes, and Merriam Pass region. Would anyone have any recent info or advice on snow levels, bugs, river crossings, etc?

Thanks.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

I crossed Piute Pass on August 3, and the very last of the snowfields was melting. One stream crossing in the middle of Humphreys Basin was crotch deep, cold and fast. However, it should be way down by now. I'm told that a smarter crossing spot is far upstream from the trail.

Merriam Peak and Royce Peak are a good peaks to bag.

–B.G.–

David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

Hello Richard –

We crossed over Piute on Sunday 8/7 and continued through Hutchinson Meadow to connect with the JMT.

There was a small snowfield on the last approach to the pass, no big deal.

The creek that Bob is probably referring to that drains out of Humphrey's was maybe knee deep.

Quite a few bugs. Enough to be annoying.

Have a great trip!

Scott Smith
    BPL Member

@mrmuddy

Locale: Idaho Panhandle

We crossed Italy Pass last week..

Came up Pink Creek Pass and then went up Italy Pass Trail next to Honeymoon.

Still lots of snow.. as you get above 11K.. Some parts of the trail were still covered in snow . .So.. you had to re route yourself .. and hook back up..

Having said that, we made it just fine ..

Needless to say , Granite Park was spectacular !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Sigh. Bugs or no bugs, I'm extremely jealous. Have not been up there for several years now–surely one of the Sierra's most spectacular, lung-scorching areas.

Enjoy!

Rick

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

here are some photos from that area. i was there on the 17th -21st of this month. i went from pine creek through the seven gables lakes over gabbot pass then over to mcgee creek trailhead. i had bugs all but one night and they were moderate to bad in the headwaters of the pine creek area at evening. i would imagine the humphreys basin to just as bothersome. with a headnet and some deet you should be fine! i did not notice that many bugs in seven gables area when we walked through, but it was during the day. all the passes i went over had some snow on them but that made it a little easier in my opinion. not some much talus. Italy pass has alot of snow on it still but i met some people that were going over it. hope these help!

drew

This is the top of ruskie passruskie pass

This is looking up at italy pass from italy lake!italy pass

This is taken from around vee lake! bear lakes area

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

also, merriam pass looks steep. i didnt go down it but just a heads up on that. ruskie is easier.

drew

here is a photo taken from ruskie pass.
    merriam

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Wow, that's a lot of snow for late August. I've only seen little patches when up there.

cheers,

Rick

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Drew,

Thanks for the photos and the info. The snow levels don't appear to be any real problem.

Richard

Richard Gless
    BPL Member

@rgless

Thanks to everyone for the information. I'll try to post a trip report after I return.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Nice pics – but the photo labeled as Italy pass is actually a saddle on the ridge south of Italy pass, between Italy Pass and Dancing Bear Pass. You can't see Italy pass directly from Lake Italy – and it's not nearly as steep as that saddle is.

drew doty
    BPL Member

@saltyotter

sorry for posting the wrong photo of italy pass!

drew

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Richard, please do post a trip report. I am thinking about a trip in that area for next year and would love to see more photos

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Humphreys Basin and Puppet Lake

Not much snow in August but lots of BUGS!!!!!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools