Topic

3 season quilt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear 3 season quilt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John West
    Spectator

@skyzo

Locale: Borah Gear

After reading Andrew's awesome write up on that quilt he made, I was thinking about making one as well for general 3 season use. I would use 5oz apex for the insulation, and some 1.1 nylon for the shell.

My current bag is a SD Nitro 30, which is an awesome bag, but its almost too warm. I've slept in it with just a silk base layer down to 28, and was toasty (I am a very warm sleeper though). Like 95% of my backpacking never even gets below 35. The bag weighs around 29oz though for my long version. So what I was thinking that if I could make a quilt that weighed about 20oz that would be a nice weight savings.

I always carry a patagonia nanopuff that I never even use at night, so I mean, I could always utilize that as well. Do you guys think the 5oz quilt paired with a nanopuff could get me down to 30?
    Thanks

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Like you I'm a warm sleeper and I can take my climahsield quilt with 5 ounce climahsield to about 20. with a baselayer fleece hat and Montbell ul down inner parka. Want to drop some more weight use 5mm silk for the inside at 4$ a yard it's cheap. want to drop Evan more weight use 7d or m55 for the outer a silk inner and 7d outer is about the same price as m90 with silk and 7d you should be sub 16 depending on how big you make the quilt. If you have any questions feel free to pm me I've made 7 for me family and friends

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools