Topic

Fifty minute climbs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    David Lutz

@davidlutz

Locale: Bay Area

I like to walk in 50 minute segments separated by a 5-10 minute break. I usually time the segments.

On a recent trip we would rest at the start of the climbs. When we set out again I would start my watch.

Over and over again the climb wold take right around 50 minutes. Even if we didn't top out, we would stop at a natural break point where the trail leveled out for a bit and sure enough, the watch would show right around fifty minutes.

Bizarre.

It became a running joke……

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

I have a wierdly good sense of time's passage and can often guess the time within 2-3 minutes so it doesn't surprise me you may have adapted to naturally time your breaks.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

For some reason this reminds me of a backcountry ski trip I once took that my buddy and I came to refer to as the "40 degree trip" becasue the temperature for the entire trip was 40 degrees – day and night for 4 days. After the first couple of days it became a running joke – we'd joke about not needing to look at the thermometer, then we'd look anyway and it would indeed still be 40 degrees.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools