Topic

MYOG Monk Tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG Monk Tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Hello all!

Last weekend I spent a few hours working on a super easy starter MYOG projec, a simple 5 X 8 silnylon flat tarp.

I used some silny seconds I got around Christmas from BackwoodsDaydreamer as well as Guterman poly thread and grosgrain ribbon for the tieouts.

Sorry i forgot to take pictures in progress but its so simple it doesnt matter :)

All I did was measure out 8 feet off the 3 yards I had ordered and cut the excess. The sil was aready 5 feet wide so i didnt have to cut anything else.

Then I rolled the edges twice about 1/2 inch and sewed a straight stich along that edge. After that all that was left was to sew the 6 grosgrain perimeter tieouts which I did using a zig-zag stich, two mid-panel teiouts (with a square sil reinforcement patch), and a mitten clip for a bivy hood.

And now, for all to behold!tarp1t2t3t4t5

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

I would reinforce your tie-outs with a sandwich of triangular fabric, capturing the grosgrain, and stitching around the perimeter to distribute the load.

As they are, a Lot of force will be concentrated in a Very small area.

YMMV

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

Nice job Tyler! Thanks for sharing. You look stoked to be under your tarp in that last picture :)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools