I went up in the Desolation for an overnight this weekend with a friend and treated it more like a solo trip without shared gear.
Things I Didn't Bring/Won't Bring Next Time:
Balaclava – I brought a wool Buff which I prefer.
Gloves – I didn't use them, will add them back for late-season trips.
ExOfficio Bandana – Didn't bring it and it wasn't missed.
Silk Sleep Sack – Didn't bring it and it wasn't missed.
Thermarest Pillow Stuff Sack – Used a larger silnylon sack for sleeping bag and parka. Less compressing of the down and I used my clothes bag for a pillow.
REI Mug – Bought a pack of 16oz = Ziploc containers per Andy F. Great item and I'll stick with it. I’m going to add a few more measurement markers on the side though.
Platypus Hoser – I brought (2) 1L Platy's instead. Just as easy to use and I'm not concerned about how much I have left as I can always see the water level remaining. Easier to refill while on the trail as well.
Seasoning – I'll probably leave this at home, the food was tasty enough.
REI Thermometer – I didn't bring it but will look more into the iButton.
Spare Platypus Cap – Without the Platypus Hoser this is not required.
‘Kitchen’ Bandana – I might cut the bandana in half. I use it mainly to keep the rattle down and to grab the pot off the stove. A full size one is too much.
Things added (Two steps forward one step back?):
Nikon Lens Pen – Dusty trails makes for an unhappy lens
ND Filter – For longer exposures during daylight hours
Things to think about:
Mosquito Headnet
Better Alcohol Stove – Mine is an old overused MYOG Pepsi can model.
Knob, Rope Loop, or Aluminum Tape as lid grabber for Heinie Pot.
I did not use any portion of the extension collar on the Virga. Anyone know how much ci this adds to the stock pack? On the way out it was well below the top. Every compression strap on the bag was maxed out and I could have compressed my down bag in the bottom more if I needed the extra space. I even packed out someone else’s gallon size trash bag that they left behind a tree. Why people? Why? For an overnight solo trip I think I should look at getting a smaller pack.
I’ll recheck my weights later this week and I have to weigh the Lens Pen and ND Filter and add them to the list. But with these changes I think I’m at 10lbs 0.4oz. Just a hair over 10lbs with my heavier than most camera gear is quite awesome. If I get the new pack and MYOG quilt I could actually hit 9lbs!