Topic

Special offer to MLIFE members

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Special offer to MLIFE members

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

The offer to MLIFE members has ended. Scroll down the thread to see this week's offer to (M) members.
    ________________________________________________________________________________

OK, it’s time for me to come out of the closet. I am the guy that makes the Zia Fabrications titanium grill. For several years now, I’ve wanted BPL to have total control of the sales, so I have chosen to lay low. But with the closing of the gear shop, I would now like to make the grills available to you folks directly.

For starters, I want to make a special offer to MLIFE members, to honor their contributions to BPL and to provide another perk for them. For the first five MLIFE members that respond in this thread and then follow it up with an e-mail to me ([email protected]), I am offering a grill, plus a 6-pack of what I am calling Silly Stix, which are 10” titanium rods that will act as supports for the grill. They are made of .12” diameter 6Al-4V alloy, they weigh 10 g. each, and they can serve multiple functions, such as tent stakes, wind screen supports, hanging a candle inside an igloo, or as a rigid splint component for a long bone fracture. Using all 6 will create a simple pot support for boiling water over a fire, allowing one to leave the grill at home (see crappy photos below).

Packaged Stix 6-pack
    Packaged Stix

Stix & Ruler
    Stix & ruler

Grill and pot using Stix supports (note that the 4 corners are supported, and 2 more Stix pin the ends down to stabilize the grill).
    Grill, Stix, pot

6 Stix utilized as a simple pot support
    Stix pot support

Stix support with pot
    Stix support with pot

For the BPL description of the Zia grill, go here: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/zia_fabrications_titanium_grill.html

The price is $60 for the grill and 6 Stix, which will include PayPal fees and shipping. This is roughly my break-even price, so I am not making a profit on this. The first 5 MLIFE responders will be considered by order of their response in this thread. If those responders don’t follow up with a purchase, I’ll move on down the list. Keep in mind that only folks with MLIFE next to their name will be eligible for this offer. I can be contacted by e-mail: drzooz(at)AOL(dot)com. Please put “Zia grill” in the subject line, so I don’t delete it as spam.

Michael Crosby
    BPL Member

@djjmikie

Locale: Ky

I would like one please

Ben Smith
    BPL Member

@goosefeet

Locale: Georgia

I'll take one!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I will take one

Brett Lively
    BPL Member

@brett-1-2-2

I'll take one

James Wyrwicki
    BPL Member

@jim1233988

i'll take one

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

When Ryan J mentioned that the shop would be closing, I bought a grill at full price.

What is the cost to purchase the silly sticks separately?

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I have the same question as Diana, price for silly sticks only. Full price, as I wasn't one of the first five and I already have a grill. Well worth the list price I paid a couple of years ago, whatever that was.

Richard

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I'd also be interested in purchasing the stix separately since I already have the grill. Thanks

David Ure

@familyguy

Ahhh – you lucky MLifers. What a bunch of BS.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

There have been several people that have asked whether I could sell the Silly Stix separately, both on this thread and via e-mail. Unfortunately, I cannot do that at this time. This was a very limited production run of just a few sets. I want to reserve these for the grill/Stix combination I am offering for this special offer. If there are any left over, I most certainly will make them available, and I will announce it on this thread (perhaps next week).

In addition, 3 of those first 5 who said they wanted the grill/Stix set have paid me. I am waiting for the others to do so. If they choose to back out there will be those sets available to anyone else that gets his/her name listed in this thread. They will be considered in the order the names are listed.

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Interested in a set of Silly Stix too for the Zia grill I already own. –Mike

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Brett, are you still in? Please let me know if not, so I can offer the kit to someone else.

Brett Lively
    BPL Member

@brett-1-2-2

Gary

Yes still in. I sent you an email.

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Gary see my PM. You have the makings of titanium "S" hooks–nobody has these out yet for hammock supports. If they can be made strong and light you might have another cool product to offer.

Steve

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for the return, Brett, and for the creative idea, Steve. E-mails were sent to you both. You guys are all great. Gotta love BPL.

Curtis B.
    BPL Member

@rutilate

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Count me in! I like the idea!

Edward Z
    BPL Member

@fuzz

Locale: Sunny San Diego

Let me know if I'm not too late

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Curtis and Edward are #1 and #2 on the waiting list, in case somebody backs out. I'll know by this Wednesday.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

OK, now it's time for phase 2 of my grill and Silly Stix combo offer. This might seem a bit goofy, but I want to help put some cash into the BPL coffers, as a way to thank them for what they do for us.

I have 5 sets of the grill and a 6-pack of Stix available to the first five REGULAR BPL members that will agree to upgrade their status to MLIFE. The price for the package will be $50. I'm taking a bit of a hit here, but it's worth it to help out BPL.

The way it will work is this: I will honor the takers in the order that they post "I'll take one" in this forum (please follow that up with an e-mail to [email protected] for ease of later communication). No money will be sent at this time. Then, when you have paid for your MLIFE subscription, post on this thread again. This will show me that you have in fact done the MLIFE thing, then I'll e-mail you with payment instruction. If you are a non-CONUS person, I will have to charge a bit extra for the actual shipping costs, but it shouldn't be much more.

This offer will be in effect until Friday (your MLIFE status needs to be set up by the weekend). If some of the sets don't sell by then, I'll simply offer them as individual pieces later, but at a higher price.

I hope this doesn't seem too crazy. Like I mentioned, it's merely an effort to help out BPL a little, and also to honor the Regular members for their continuous contributions to this site. So, if you were thinking about upgrading to MLIFE status anyway, this might be a good chance for you to do so now.

Robert Kelly
    BPL Member

@qiwiz

Locale: UL gear @ QiWiz.net

Hats off to Gary for his great grills and the creative ways he is selling his remaining inventory with closure of the BPL Store. Fabricators unite!

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Gary, if you decide to offer Silly Stix by themselves, please put me on your list of buyers!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Thanks for your interest, Steve. I've had several requests for the Stix, and I'm keeping a list. If there is no interest in this current (M) sale, I'll contact folks in the order they inquired. This was a very limited run, and I only have enough to take care of the five M's during this week's sale.

Chad Helmke
    BPL Member

@the-gear-recycler

Locale: High Rockies

I'm in for some silly stix too when you get them produced. No hurry here. Thanks and let me know!

Adam Wallace

@a-wallace

Locale: somewhere

Seriously?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools