Topic

Dried Shrimp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Eddy Walker

@ewker

Locale: southeast

anyone know where I can buy some dried shrimp that have been taken out of the shell, deveined and cleaned. We found one International Market that sells them but they are still shelled and haven't be cleaned. Not something I would like to do while on the trail.

thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

http://importfood.com/spds0401.html

These are meant to be eaten after a good soaking as they are salty.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

I should add that these are the tiny ones you see in Thai food as a garnish on meals. They are meant to be eaten whole or ground up.

If what you are looking for is tiny freeze-dried shrimp like you see in Ramen cups….keep looking on that – you can dry the canned tiny shrimp though!

Eddy Walker

@ewker

Sarah,

I knew you would respond to this :)

We want to use them in pasta and other meals. We thought the dried ones would be a lot lighter to carry than a can of shrimp.

wish i could find the foil packs of shrimp, clams and oysters again.

I just looked at your link and the shrimp looks like they are still in the shell which means they haven't been cleaned.

Not sure why I didn't think of drying them

Thanks

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Try the canned ones dried! I have done it before :-)

PS: As for the Asian ones…they eat the whole thing. Not my cup of tea but wow, when I worked for the importer we sold a LOT of them – and even to hikers. I couldn't get past the smell….lol! It was up there with pickled radish.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Mountain House used to sell freeze-dried shrimp in a #2-1/2 size can, and that was great for group meals. Plus, there wasn't any serious smell until they were rehydrated.

Of course you need a little kimchee to go with that. Not.

–B.G.–

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

Hmmmm….

Can you dehydrate kimchee?

I love that stuff!!!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Stephen, I suspect that you could dehydrate kimchee, but that is a little beside the point. Kimchee is supposed to be pickled such that it does not require any further preservation, so the only thing that dehydration could do would be to reduce the weight.

Personally, I think that kimchee should be eradicated worldwide, but that is just my personal preference.

–B.G.–

Eddy Walker

@ewker

guess we will be drying our own. I am not eating shells and their intestines…yuck

got to say I like spicy beef kimchee

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Kimchee….it only gets better with age ;-) Had a friend whose Mom was 1st Gen. Korean and she just left crocks of it out on the table. That stuff was NEVER cold. We Americans are very obsessed with stuff being cold.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Eddy, I bought a bag of frozen, cooked and ready to eat shrimp and dehydrated it for use in FBC. Worked out real well! BePrepared.com sometimes has freeze-dried shrimp but are currently out because Mountain House, their supplier, has a huge backlog on orders (the tea baggers bought everything up) and has temporarily stopped taking new orders for now.

Roy Staggs

@onepaddlejunkie

Locale: SEC

Might be a long drive to pick them up. I put them in hot and spicy noodle bowls.

Eddy Walker

@ewker

we are going to a different International market tomorrow to see if they carry any dried shrimp.

If not we will dehydrate some. We are waiting on new dehydrater to come in since my old one died :(

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

The oven will work as well :-)

Eddy Walker

@ewker

to darn hot to turn the oven on..lol

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

Bob — I gotta ask. Were you stationed in Korea at some point?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Yeah, I think that turned a lot of us off to kimchee. It was the smell rather than the flavor.

–B.G.–

Stephen Barber
    BPL Member

@grampa

Locale: SoCal

My wife and I (both distinctly non-Asian) love kimchi! There is a large Korean population in the area, and my wife has learned ot make some very tasty kimchi herself.

I love the look of shock when a Korean realizes that we actually like kimchi!!!

BER —
    BPL Member

@ber

Locale: Wisconsin

Koran ex-wife. Love me some kimchee!
    Dehydrated kimchee would be nice with my kalbi spiced jerky!
    Think that is one experiment in dehydrating I will run outside…

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

I was in the Navy and stopped in Korea. The smell was what turned me off.

Bob, I'm with you on the eradication of kimchee. OMG!

Worth Donaldson
    BPL Member

@worth

I purchased a #10 can this past spring from Emergency Essentials. If you catch the sales you can save quite a bit of money. Unfortunately, they are apparently out of stock.

http://beprepared.com/

I highly recommend the sausage crumbles.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

"Bob, I'm with you on the eradication of kimchee."

I don't think that I was traumatized by the horrors of war. It was more the kimchi that left me emotionally scarred for life.

–B.G.–

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools