Topic

Looking for some first hand info on Sword, Lost and Bull Run Lakes ( Carson, Stanislaus)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Looking for some first hand info on Sword, Lost and Bull Run Lakes ( Carson, Stanislaus)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am thinking about taking some young ones out next weekend. Neither one is into much hiking or uphill ( I know…??), but I would like to take them out to some lakes. The wilderness Press book has a couple of options, one being Sword and Lost Lakes, and the other Bull Run Lakes. Which one would be better ? We might head out very early Friday morning, in time to start hiking before the heat and possibly make it two nights. They love to swim, and I read that Sword lake is one of the warmest.
    I know it might get crowded and there might still be mosquitos, but does anyone have more info on these two options? There are closer options, but school starts soon and this is the last chance to take them out that direction and have an extra day.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Several years ago, some friends of mine had their daughter (maybe 18 months) ready to go in a baby carrier, and I had been recruited to help carry some of the load. Obviously the kid couldn't walk far.

So, the kid got carried in and then turned loose around Bull Run Lake. The ground was pretty sandy, so injury was unlikely, and at least one adult kept an eye on the kid all of the time. The ground squirrels were big hits.

It seems to me that there was a good place for adults to go scrambling off-trail.

–B.G.–

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Hey Kat, I have taken my boy to sword lake quite a few times over the years. Sword Lake is a easy hike at 2-3 miles. At the TH there is climb but levels out after that.
    Not good for fishing but great for diving and swimming.

Sword Lake

Ken Helwig
    BPL Member

@kennyhel77

Locale: Scotts Valley CA via San Jose, CA

Kat you also have Kinney Lakes off of Ebbetts Pass off of Hwy 4. Easy hiking, beautiful scenery. I think Jay has been there too. It is only a 2 mile hike to Upper Kinney Lake

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thanks Bob, jay and Ken.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Kat,

I second Sword Lake, great for swimming and fairly easy to reach. I have not taken the kids there yet but I think it's doable (depending on age stamina). This time of year you'll likely have some people around. The road in is a little long, rough, and dusty but won't require 4WD.

Another to consider is Devil's Lake near Bear River Reservoir. The hike is only 1.5 miles, lake is great for swimming and camping. I've been there twice this year. Once with my little boy, once with a friend. There will probably be another group or two sharing the lake. The road in gets pretty rough and requires high clearance, 4WD helpful. This keeps some people away, most of the people in the area are riding off-road vehicles on/near the road and you never see or hear them up at the lake.

I've done a few hikes over the past few weeks in the 5-6000 ft. range and the mosquitoes have been out in force every time.

kirby freeman

@kirbyf

Hi Kat,
    I'd love to know if you picked one and went? We're heading up with a few kids in a few weeks and wondering how it went (and how mosquito-y it was).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools