Topic

Old stove?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Old stove?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I still have my Svea 123 purchased in the early 1970's and last I tried it worked perfectly, even with who knows how old gas in it.

I use my Optimus 111B with some regularity. It is heavy but it's like a blowtorch. You may recall it was the standard winter stove when you needed to melt lots of snow for water.

Last summer I took the 111B kayak camping with six people, a very large and tall pot, and two dozen ears of corn. It got the big pot boiling and we cooked lots of fresh corn. We also cooked a zillion eggs and bacon for six in a large frypan (cast iron?), as well as lots of other non-UL meals (one benefit of kayak camping with Boy Scouts).

It starts first time, every time, and roars. I recall the roaring sound was very comforting years ago on winter trips in the Adirondacks when it was 20 degrees below zero F.

Erik Basil
    BPL Member

@ebasil

Locale: Atzlan

Not too long ago, I pulled out my Stansport knock-off of an Optimus stove and showed the boys that it still worked great, not counting how you have to light it and how much fuel it uses to boil a few quarts of water in the small iterations you get using the pot/case to boil with. It reminded me what a massive difference my yellow-pump MSR XGK was and why I kept on using it over the years.

Until, that is, I bought an Optimus Crux. Now, my 50 year old Coleman 2-burner sees more action than the old XGK does. My Crux and cookset weight less than the stove head on the XGK, long before I even get to the Sigg bottle.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Locale: Extreme northern Sierra Nevada

I have one 111B and three 111T's or similar. Even have a new alky jet and restrictor for my themed 111T, painted black with orange flame cut outs on the sides and a mud flap lady sillouette inside and a H-D sticker on the top of the case. I need to fettle the 111B as I just got it and replace a jet in a embossed 111 I picked up last winter. I really like the little 8R's, sweet running.
    Bob, I was thinking maybe you no longer needed those MSR newsletters. If you are keeping them, no worry.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Link didn't work.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

Links are a little tricky on this forum, Duane. You have to code in native html.

It should look something like this:
    <a href=http://some_website_address>some description (optional) of the website</a>

For example, if you wanted to go to Backpacking Light, you would type in
    <a href=http://www.backpackinglight.com>Backpacking Light</a>

Which would turn out to look like this when actually put into place:
    Backpacking Light

Kind of a pain.

HJ

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Thank you HJ.

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Any of the more "experienced" bpers, climbers dig out that old stove, pump and give it a go? I'm looking for a few more old MSR/Radius stoves that might have been used in the '70's that need a new, good home if looking to hand one off.:)
    Duane
    email—hikerduaneataaahawkdotcom

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

"experienced?" I think he means us old farts. :)

HJ

USA Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@hikerduane

Any links to photos of your old stoves? I'll buy a model or two if I don't have enough yet that anyone wants to send to a good home.:) That's been my motivation this Fall to get out more bping. My stoves, using them. I took an old Enders 9061 from 1959 out last week, heavy old thing, ran sweet, simmered good after a bit.
    email-hikerduane at aaa hawk dot com

Duane

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools