Topic

JMT trip cut seriously short…

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion JMT trip cut seriously short…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The bells on a thread will jingle and keep making noise as long as the disturbance is there. If I stack my pot and lid, they fall over once and then go silent. My spoon is lexan, so it doesn't make any noise.

In the old days of bear bags, we used to tie our metal cookware by a cord around the trunk of the tree where the food was. Then we put a few pebbles into each piece of cookware. That way, if a bear tries to climb the tree, he will have to go through the noisemakers.

–B.G.–

Michael Levine
    Spectator

@trout

Locale: Long Beach

Very sorry Erik,

I'm glad you got to see some of the beautiful stuff though, and as you said it's beautiful whenever you can get out there.

I still can't believe someone took your food, how horribly selfish. If they were literally starved they should have just taken a candy bar and waited for you. I'm trying to understand who the hell goes out there with the intention of stealing food to live on, or who goes out without enough then puts that same situation on someone else. Weird!

Fred Thorp

@bfthorp

"I still can't believe someone took your food"

It's almost easier to believe it was a mistake of some odd sort.

Jason G
    BPL Member

@jasong

Locale: iceberg lake

so sad to hear. I would be pretty livid.

For some reason I always keep my bear can within 20ft or so of my camp.. I guess im just lazy and tired when i go to sleep and don't want to walk far so stash in out of camp. it might be a different story if i were in griz country.
    I don't think a bear is going to come mess with me in my tent anymore if my bear-can was right outside my tent rather than 100ft away..

Kurt Achtenhagen
    BPL Member

@kurtlnt-org

Locale: Boulder, CO

I read this thread earlier, and it still disturbs me that someone would steal all your food. However, something in one of the comments above reminded me of a flyer I took a picture of in Moab, UT this May. The Sierra's are a long ways from Moab, but perhaps this is a scenario that someone would steal someone's food.

In case it is not legible in the photo, towards the bottom under the "Immediately report the following:" it says "Any thefts of food, provisions, or equipment no matter how minor…"

Wanted Poster

Erik Dietz
    BPL Member

@erikdtz

I ended up reporting this incident to the rangers and they were upset and very curious about all the details. I also talked about this with my uncle who said he was in the Yosemite area in late July and he ran into a guy who said he lives in the Sierras each summer. This guy said he gets most of his food from stuff left in the bear boxes and food unattended in campsites. Who knows what actually happened but it was interesting to hear that.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools