Topic

CocoHydro ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Has anyone tried this powdered coconut water? I know it was at the OR show in Utah this year. I'm very interested in instant/powdered coconut water for electrolyte replacement; if anyone has experience with this or a similar product please feel free to share.

Thanks!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Might as well try it out! I drink regular coconut water after hiking often – or after the gym. Great for that…..

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks Sarah. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it compares to Vita Coco.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I was at the OR show and tried it. It tasted pretty good, my favorite flavor was the original flavor. I can't vouch for how it works during/after activity. It has a nice light taste and isn't too sweet.

Another brand I have tried is Achiva Energy (http://www.achivaenergy.com/), it has coconut water, chia seeds, and chai tea in it. The chia seeds make it less of a beverage and more of a snack, but we really liked it.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Thanks Damien. The original flavor is unflavored coconut water, correct? Of the other flavors, which did you like best?

The Achiva sounds interesting but anything with seeds is out of the question for me unfortunately.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

Yes, original is unflavored. Of the flavors, I think I liked pineapple the best.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Chia seeds can be made into energy drinks quite easily – but yes…if seeds cause issues stay away. They don't need to be ground though, your body will absorb the nutrients out of them whole (unlike nearly every other seed). They swell up in water – it is amazing to watch.

But they are also very, very high in fiber so YMMV. The big reason to eat Chia if you can is that it binds cholesterol like few other food items. This past year I dropped my and my husband's cholesterol levels by half by removing most meat and animal products and adding things such as Chia to our diets. I grind it though as I hate picking it out of my teeth … yuck!!

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Damien, thanks again. Going to give the pineapple a try.

Sarah, thanks for the additional info on the chia seeds. I have a strage urge to grow a Chia Sheep now :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools