Topic

MLD duomid vs MLD grace duo tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) MLD duomid vs MLD grace duo tarp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

I was wondering if anyone had any insight or experience about these two shelters. I am looking for the shelter that offers the most versatility for different seasons and the fastest pitch. Can the grace tarp handle snow like the duomid? I want to use one of these on the PCT. I know there are other lighter options but I would like to have a one shelter does it all kind of thing. Which one does it all? I also like MLD for their awesome quality.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

can't speak directly to the duo tarp, but can the duo mid

it's a pretty fast pitch, stake out the four corners (keeping everything parallel), put in you trekking pole (or poles if your using an inverted v setup) adjusted to the correct height, stake out the front/rear- done

if your expecting high winds or snow, there are additional tie outs

the duomid you can add the inner for bug country (also gives you a bathtub bottom), only adds a couple of minutes to setup time

the duomid performs well in both wind and snow (don't get me wrong it's not a "bomber" 4 season mountaineering tent, but for less extreme conditions very capable)

for solo use you get a lot of room w/ the duo mid, including room to stash gear and cook, for duo use considerably less roomy

Casey Balza

@equals

Would it be safe to use an alcohol stove in the duomid? I witnessed approximately 10-12 inch flames shooting out of my stove the other week when it got dark out. I probably won't get the inner because I would like to use my bivy with it and for the nights when I won't need a shelter on the PCT. Would the perimeter bug net be worth the extra money? Or would it just get in the way and not be very effective? Would it also hinder low pitch setups?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's never totally safe to use an alcohol stove (or any fire maker) inside a tent. Some probably do that, but you must make the decision/take the risk for yourself.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I'm sure it's been done, I'd exercise caution doing it

the perimeter netting I think would be fine for three season stuff, guys that have it find it a real pain in the winter- I use mine year round so I nixed that option

bivy would be great in the duomid, give you a lot of room :) it has several tie offs inside so if you have bug netting w/ yours easy to tie off

Casey Balza

@equals

Yeah I think I will cook outside the shelter a couple feet, just in case. Well thanks for the input. I'm going to get a duomid! :D Seems like I can get more use out of it over the tarp.

Mark
    BPL Member

@drshane-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Northwest Wyoming

Mike,
    What is the problem with bug netting in the winter? I have one on order with the netting option since I do mostly 3 season trips. Still, I want the versatility to go in the winter. What to you do about bugs in the summer?

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

from what some folks have said, it (netting) gets frozen into the snow/ice making it difficult to take the tent down (w/o ripping the netting)

I have the inner tent for summer use- it's the shelter I use when hiking w/ my wife; for solo trips I got a solo trailstar that I use w/ a bivy

I know several folks that use the Duomid solo opt for the single inner tent- giving them a fair bit of room to store their gear outside the inner

there may be a way to roll the netting out of the way for winter use???????

Mike

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

looks like Josh beat me to the punch :)

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

yeah that's definitely a possibility

I wonder what kind of weight penalty a guy would see w/ removable perimeter netting- some small pieces of velcro strategically placed around??????

the netting is clearly the lightest option for three season use (if you have bugs to deal w/)- it's just that it does present a problem into that fourth season

Ryan Slack

@rwslack

Locale: Minnesota

…I do recall reading quite some time ago that one could temporarily attach a strip of perimeter netting using a thin bead of silicone, which would peel off at the end of the summer/bug season for snow use. Again, I have no experience with this but it might be worth an experiment with some scraps. If it works it might be an ideal solution for you 'mid folks.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I have a pyramid that I use during bug season. Maybe 2 inch gap all around the perimeter.

It seems like the bugs don't find that path into the tent. Any bugs that get in tend to congregate at the peak of the tent, trying to get out.

Not perfect and I don't go where there are huge numbers of mosquitoes but it sort of works.

The other solution is a 4 foot circle of bug netting – 2 ounces – I just sort of drape it over my head end when I'm in my sleeping bag. I can also wear it around camp.

David Ure

@familyguy

It pitches really fast. I can do it in under 90 seconds. It is just simplicity personified. I just used it recently in bug infested Banff (with a bivy, however):

DuoMid

Brian Grossnickle

@bmg

Locale: Wild Wild West

cause you never know who'll show up inside your shelterwoke me up

David Ure

@familyguy

Holy….

Perimeter bug netting didn't work for me. Crawlers still got underneath the netting, not to mention a couple of field mice.

Casey Balza

@equals

That's huge! I guess be sure to have a club handy when in a duomid!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools