Topic

Western Mountaineering Megalite or Feathered Friends Osprey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Western Mountaineering Megalite or Feathered Friends Osprey

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Craig Brennan

@hanger

I started backpacking a few years ago. The first bag I purchased was a synthetic 0° TNF Snowshoe (62/58/40) that I've never slept in. After purchasing the bag I discovered hammock camping and haven't slept on the ground since.

Now, however, I am going on a trip out west (Sequoia/Kings Canyon) in September with some friends. I'll be sharing a tent and do not particularly want to take my Snowshoe as it is 3+ pounds and not particularly compressible. I also do not think my top quilt will work for me on the ground.

I and 5'7", 175 lbs. Having recently crawled into the Snowshoe I found the dimensions comfortable. I'm a side sleeper and I tend to toss and turn frequently during the night. The Snowshoe allowed me to rotate comfortably within the bag.

I've narrowed down my choices to Western Mountaineering Megalite and Feathered Friends Osprey. If I thought the Summerlite wouldn't be too constricting I'd probably chose that over the Megalite. But the Osprey seems like a good compromise and is what I'm leaning towards currently.

Before I pull the trigger on the Osprey I would like to know if anyone has experience with these 2 bags that can give some further insight.

Thanks in advance for your help with this decision.

Five Star
    BPL Member

@mammoman

Locale: NE AL

You can't go wrong really with either bag, but if the Snowshoe hit your sweet spot size-wise I'd go with the FF Kestrel…..3 oz. to get the width of the Snowshoe. The Megalite can be a bit tight in the hips for some who toss and roll in the night.
    YMMV.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I got the WM Megalite because I liked the extra room to wear a light down jacket if I needed more warmth. I've been comfortable in the Megalite with that jacket and mid-weight long johns at 15 F.

Also, unzipped, it makes a decent quilt on hot nights.

Craig Brennan

@hanger

So many good choices… I thought about the Kestral, and the Sycamore from WM (and the Montbell UL SS #3 and the Marmot Hydrogen, too). But I figured I could save a little weight and be a little warmer in the Osprey. At 2" more shoulder room than the Snowshoe the kestrel might be too much room? Is a 2" difference in girth noticeable? If not then I'm leaning towards the Osprey. If so, then the Kestral is back in the running.

I guess I'm just hoping my backpacking doppleganger went through the same decision and says the FF Osprey was the most perfect bag for him. Or, gives me a definitive reason to rule it out.

Thanks for the great input thus far.

Craig Brennan

@hanger

That's a good point on having the room to get lower but I don't see my hiking trip reaching temps below 30° on a regular basis. Do you find the Megalite colder when you don't fill up the dead space with a jacket?

Craig Brennan

@hanger

I ordered the Osprey today. Hope I made the right choice.

Nick Garcia
    BPL Member

@saltamontes

Locale: South Florida

Craig, how did you end up liking the Osprey? thanks

Roger Heward

@green1

Locale: Alberta, Canada

I currently have the Western Mountaineering Versalite (-12c) and love it, though I do find it a little warmer than I really need, I'm looking to get a Western Mountaineering Ultralite (-7c) instead (and probably give the Versalite to my girlfriend who is a much colder sleeper than I am)
    The megalite (-2c) looks very similar to the versalite, except not as warm, should be a good bag as long as you don't live in a climate like mine where even mid summer you can wake up to an inch of snow on the ground (I can't see myself ever going with a lighter rating than the -7c for this part of the world))

Steven McAllister
    BPL Member

@brooklynkayak

Locale: Arizona, US

I know a lot of people use their hammock quilts when they sleep on the ground by attaching gadgets that hold it tight to their sleeping pad.

I don't know your type of quilt, is this not an option for you?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools