Topic

JMT-SHR September snow question?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips JMT-SHR September snow question?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

So I know that this is a super high snow year out west and have been reading peoples trip reports for the area, just read Steve Silva's SHR report, thanks Steve and I'm wondering what people think either of those trails will be like come September. I'm sort of tossing around the idea of a trip but don't want to travel all that distance if the conditions are going to suck. My understanding is that usually by September all the JMT passes should be pretty clear and that most of the snow is gone from the SHR. How do people feel about this year? Is it still going to be ice axes and crampons on the high passes and miles of slush in between until it starts snowing all over again this fall?

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Your information might be a little dated. Most of the JMT high passes have been open for a long time, and for the remaining snow fields, you have a muddy foot track cutting right through. I was at Muir Pass on August 5, and the snow was no big deal. All I really used was a forest stick, although a trekking pole would have been slightly better.

–B.G.–

Andrew Wolff
    Spectator

@andrew

Locale: Chattanooga

Thanks Bob, Yeah I kinda figured the JMT would be about cleared out. Anyone have an opionion on the SHR snow situation for September?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools