Topic

Every shoe rubs. What to do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Every shoe rubs. What to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    M L
    BPL Member

@herzzreh

I've tried numerous shoes and everything, except for heavy leather boots that I wear for work and Chucks, rubs me in the same spot: on the outside of the ankle, right under and forward of the "ball". This is actually less of a rubbing but my ankle pressing against the top of the ankle collar on the shoe. Any suggestions?

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

I have the same issue with most shoes- I have a weird little fat pad there.
    Options that have worked for me (narrow heel, wide forefoot):
    Kenn Mid Voygeurs- this avoids the issue of the shoe ending at the same height as the place it rubs, but relatively heavy
    Asics 4E trailrunners. At first I thought they rubbed there, but as I tested them out at work (on my feet most of the day) I found I ceased to notice it. I wore them on a recent 5 day Sierra backpack with zero issues.
    OluKai training shoes- got them at REI and wore them on two overnight backpacks- also zero issues. REI is sold out but Amazon has them. More support than they look like they should have.

http://www.amazon.com/OluKai-Kiai-Trainer-Shoe/dp/B003TNNAC0

If you have a narrower foot than I do, you might look at Keen running shoes.

Good luck- took me 8 months of trying on various trail runners to find those two.

Hiker 816
    BPL Member

@hiker816

Locale: Denver

Find shoes that otherwise fit, and just take a knife and cut out the section that is rubbing (cutting tiny amounts out at a time, testing each time). If you want to, you can then add some stitching around the cut part, but I usually just leave the shoe that way with no ill effects.

drowning in spam

@leaftye

Locale: SoCal

Inov-8 has a couple mid-height trail running shoes.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It's seen more commonly in those whose lower leg curves inward more than others or maybe in those whose ankle bone is a little larger from previous sprains. Like others said, keep trying on different shoes. Make sure you wear over the ankle socks. You could put up with it since it isn't forming a blister on the foot bottom, but it may get on the nerves to always feel that. I guess I'd not want to cut up my shoe.

The ball of the foot really is the sole of the forefoot, so I think you mean outer ankle bone (lateral malleolus).

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I have had shoes before that rubbed me raw under ankle when they fit differently than others. After a few weeks, your skin in that spot toughens and you basically get used to it.

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

Try Bodyglide to the area that is involved. It reduces friction.

Paul Chang

@paulgeo

I have the same problem. I buy gel inserts that are half size just for the heel. It raises up your ankles just enough that it doesn't rub anymore. Something like this:

heel insert

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Good idea Paul.

joe black

@jon5105

getting a small heal pad as suggested above will fix u….

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools