Topic

Footwear for hike with 30+ water crossings

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Footwear for hike with 30+ water crossings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

+1 Zappos. FWIW, I wear a 9.5 in shoes more often than not, and Roclite 295s fit great in size 10. Inov8's website is a good resource for sorting through the options in all the different models, including which shoes are built on the "performance" last (narrower) and "comfort" last (wider, like the 295s).

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Here in Scotland, i'm used to walking all day in wet footwear. Even without river crossings, the ground is usually boggy.
    I always look for quick draining synthetic uppers in my shoes, preferably mesh. Sometimes the shoes will never dry out completely. I started wearing Inov8's around 5 years ago, but they didn't prove durable enough for my off trail hiking. I often have some scrambling on granite in my routes though. I also have a wide forefoot, so only a couple of models (295, 330) suited my feet. Nothing wrong with the shoes, just my use.
    I prefer merino socks when my feet will be wet all day. I find them more comfortable than synthetic.

The shoes i use most are Mizuno Wave Harriers. Someone said on another thread that they are difficult to source in the US.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

has anyone tried any of the FiveTen amphibious shoes?
    http://fiveten.com/products/product-search/tag/footweartype/Amphibious_m23/

mike

Ryan C
    BPL Member

@radio_guy

Locale: United States

Love my Inov8 X-Talon 240s. Lightest shoes I have ever worn. They were awesome in Alaska where we had several glacier streams and river crossings. Even with a heavy 35-40lb pack, I still found them much more comfortable than my old school heavy leather Gore-Tex boots.

David Vo

@sygyzy

I received my Roclite 295's from Zappos yesterday. I sized up 1/2 size from my normal US9 to US9.5. The fit is perfect and can accommodate even the thicker Smartwool socks I have. I don't ever wear the super thick ones so that's not a concern.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend sizing up at least half.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I attempted to do a hike with lots of river crossings wearing keen sandals. My advice is to never do that. They are the worst of all worlds. No traction, lets all the gravel in and doesn't let it out, slow to dry, you have to wear socks or else too much chafing. Absolutely no advantage over running shoes by any measurement.

I have switched from running shoes to Chaco sandals with wool socks. This works great, so long as the trail is free of foxtails and other things that like to get stuck in your socks.

David Vo

@sygyzy

@Piper – That's great advice. A few years ago I was on the north shore of Kauai and hiked a long day hike in very wet, muddy conditions. I had Keens on and I absolutely hated them. I think they (and Tevas) have their place but that place is not where you need traction. Like in a raft – that's probably ok. But being wet and having to climb on rocks – bad idea.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Classic YMMV. I don't think you can say sandals don't work.
    I've done quite a few day walks in Teva Terra Fi's, including wet conditions and rock scrambling. Didn't have any problems.

R S

@rps76

…huge thing on the ultrarunning market, Drymax socks. I thought it was "snazzy marketing" until I bought a pair. Drymax has me for life.

As for shoes…Chaco's. Yeah, they take about a month of daily walking in them to get used to them if you've never worn them before, but after that they are amazing. Make sure you do a few river crossings during the first day so the straps stretch. I will do hikes up to 30 miles in my Chaco's.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

@Piper

Keen does (or did) make a sandal for water use. I couldn't find it on Keen's website, and it may have branded as Simms [a well-known maker of fly fishing gear]. Much better traction, and strategically designed apertures that allow you to flush out the accumulated pebbles. If you're interested I'll send you a photo.

Richard

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools