Topic

Stephenson’s Warmlite 2R

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Stephenson’s Warmlite 2R

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Just picked up a Stephenson's Warmlite 2R for an upcoming bike trip (Germany for 10 days, woohoo!). Since my bike touring is on roads, with most nights spent at regular people campgrounds, I like a bit more room in my shelter so I can bring my panniers in the tent with me without crowding me. I've always wondered about Warmlites, so decided to pick one up.

Set it up to seam seal it (gawd I hate seam sealing tents! And it shows, oh boy does it show…….).

Anyway, some pics. I put my large (not regular) NeoAir inside to give you an idea of space (didn't inflate it though, I'm lazy). I got the side windows and reflective inner, pretty cool feature. Windows are on both sides, but I only opened up one for the pics. And while I was inside sealing the floor, the vents provided a pretty decent breeze. So far this is a keeper.

.2r1

.2r2

.2r3

.2r4

.2r5

.2r6

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Douglas, For fall camping, this is the wife and my choice. Even at 3lb it is worth it in the ADK's. We often get 3-4 days of steady rain. It works.

Alaskaoneday
    BPL Member

@alaskaoneday-2

Locale: Northern CA

Looks just like mine, same colors. The side windows and large door are a real nice options too.

BTW, just got back from 8 days in Yosemite and used your (now mine) BCB as an underquilt and it worked great.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The lack of a vestibule can be a problem in extended rain. I bring a 5' X 8' tarp with me if i'm using my 2R. It gives me a sheltered area for cooking, pitched over the front pole. It acts as a wind catcher though, and i take it down before sleeping.

I've been thinking of having a proper vestibule made for it. Something like the Black Diamond vestibules that pitch low to the ground with a zipped door.
    Now that you have a 2R Doug, i'll just wait for you to have one made from Cuben, then order the same! :)

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Douglas – I've always been intrigued by Warmilte tents but have never had my hands on one. So I have a couple questions you might be able to answer. Does it seem like the top vent can stay open in the rain? And is there a vent at the bottom of the door?
    Thanks.

George Geist
    BPL Member

@geist

Locale: Smoky Mountains

> The lack of a vestibule can be a problem in extended rain.

I've always thought what the Warmlite 2R needed was a
    zipper in the side window to make a door. This would:
    a. allow cooking outside under the window canopy
    b. enter the tent in the rain without exposing the
    inside of the tent to the rain
    c. allow the user to reach out and zip closed the other
    window covering without having to get out of the tent.

Have folks every made such a mod to their Warmlites?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, it can be a bit difficult in a heavy downpour. The small tarp would add a bit to the front. We get in and out quickly and have a bandana ready to mop up any puddles. Removing wet clothing is fairly easy since the tent is quite large inside.

The venting without the windows must be terrible, though. Even with windows half open (a fairly rain proof configuration,) we get a lot of condensaton inside at around 35F. This seems to be a product of the too small top vent.

There is a bit of elastic on the top vent, as supplied by Stephensons. This works to keep the upper vent open. As near as I can figure, the vent is way too small. Even with the foot vent, the door vent and the windows, the only way the upper portion of the tent can be vented is through the small top vent. Soo, you do get an accumulation of condensation without a wind to drive ventilation. This is typical of ALL the small tents I have used, though, especially with two people. It is no worse or better than the Exped Serius, the Hilleberg Nallo, The North Face Spectrum, and a couple others I made. With one person producing water vapour, not so bad, but they are rediculously heavy for one person (borderline for two, even in winter.)

"I've always thought what the Warmlite 2R needed was a
    zipper in the side window to make a door. This would:
    a. allow cooking outside under the window canopy
    b. enter the tent in the rain without exposing the
    inside of the tent to the rain
    c. allow the user to reach out and zip closed the other
    window covering without having to get out of the tent."

This is a good idea. I was wondering the same thing. I may try this. I could then remove the door zippers so the weight would stay about the same. Our mesh is getting a bit stretched, so, simply slitting the existing mesh, folding and adding a small zipper to each side in a largish "D" configuration would work. This will also allow a second larger "top" vent, just below the origonal.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

Turning a window into a door is a good idea, if only to allow closing up the window when it rains without having to leave the tent. (I wouldn't light a fire within three feet of the Warmlite, even with a vestibule.) Check with Warmlite – they are very accommodating when it comes to repairs/customization. If you contact them, let us know the result.

Richard

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools