Topic

Fall 2011 UL list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Fall 2011 UL list

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Half a year ago, I joined BPL and posted my very first gear list. I weighed over 10kg, and I got a lot of good feedback (along with being mocked a bit, but that was to be expected).

I kept an open mind, and slowly started to cut back on weight. I have since been out testing many different combinations of gear, experimenting, and making progress. And I have been doing all this quite a lot. This year alone I have been out backpacking/camping 13 times. I have found that I have more time and energy to devote to the fun stuff (fishing, picking berries/mushrooms, swimming, etc.) as my backpack got lighter, and I could also go further and further. I used to let out a slight grunt while planning a trip that had to start with a 10km hike, knowing I would be tired by the time I got to the campsite. Now 10km is no big deal, and I have had a great time going further and doing more exploration deeper into the woods.

Money was an issue. I saved up some, and lucky for me for my birthday my friends and family really came through with some great gear (everyone knows I am nuts about backpacking/camping). I did a lot of MYOG stuff, with mixed results, but still a good chunk of pretty good results. For example, my MYOG 450g backpack turned out great, but it is somewhat fragile, so I only use it if hiking on established trails and other non-rough terrain that could shred up the pack. I mostly go off trail, so durability was important for me in choosing a pack, as was weight distribution and volume, so the Golite Jam won out.

Anyhow, this last gear list I just finished up I am the most happy with. I must note that a few items are on their way in the mail, such as my bivy and tarp. I can't wait to get out there when the last few pieces of my gear list puzzle fall into place.

Location is SW Sweden, trip duration is 1-3 days, fall 2011, deep woods type terrain mostly off-trail. This list is also for a higher chance of rain (it rains a good bit here, especially in the fall), I have another list with a lower chance of rain that clocks in at 3673 (8.09lbs), and if I don't go off-trail much/at all, I can switch the Jam for my MYOG bag and it would come it at 3283g (7.23lbs).

Don't have the time to get into consumables just yet, but in the future I will post a total backpack weight along with a breakdown of consumables here in this thread next time I can get out.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions about my list, and welcome any/all feedback. Special thanks to those of you that have given me feedback/encouragement to get to this level, you know who you are! :)

The gear list is on my profile in PDF, or check it out at geargrams here: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=4031

Total base weight is 4003g (8.81 pounds)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

To reflect skin-out weight what clothing and footwear are you planning to use, this is not reflected on your spread sheet?

Cesar Valdez

@primezombie

Locale: Scandinavia

Yeah, I am not ready for FSO yet. Maybe one day. But I can tell you that my clothing/shoes are not UL. I go off-trail a lot, as I mentioned, so I need hardcore footwear to deal with some pretty rugged terrain. So I usually wear combat boots.

Even when I went on my first official SUL overnighter I wore my jungle boots. I got a stress fracture last month or so from going on an unofficial SUL trip in Spain due to wearing sneakers through very rough terrain. You can read all about these trips on my blog, which is linked on my profile. So anyhow, I am very skeptical about getting rid of my combat boots, but if I were to go on say the AT again or another established trail, I would probably wear my New Balances.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools