Topic

Wholesale Climashield?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Wholesale Climashield?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Locale: Western NC Mountains

Does anybody know of a wholesale source of Climashield Apex 5oz?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

owfinc.com has 6 oz Apex and they offer a discount for quantities

at least they had it a while ago

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

The wholesale source would be the manufacturer- ClimaShield!

I am sure they would sell it to you. You would just need to start a business and buy the min order quality.

After paying for that huge load upfront on a credit card (they might want some interest paid to them too) about 2-8 weeks later the full size 18 wheeler semi truck would show up and unload it. Expect the driver will give you an extra "special" look if you do not have a loading ramp.

If the semi can't fit on your street then plan on a special truck fee to transfer it to a smaller truck that can legally deliver it yo you.

Plan on maybe a little bit of storage room too…they come on 55yd semi shrink wrapped rolls – about 3' in diameter X 85+ inches long – think mega giant tampon. (Good news- one person can wrangle it around by them self.) FUN Alert: When the roll is opened it quickly swell to twice it's diameter- more fun that watching TV! Your kids will want to build front yard forts with it and that is WAY fun until the first time you have to night restack it out of the front driveway real fast in the dark before the storm hits.

With the min order plan on about 30+ rolls or so completely filing a single car garage- but don't worry- the wife won't mind if her car gets parked on the street that winter – or the next – or even the next. By the third year that the 80% of that beautiful wholesale load of Apex is still there you are divorced anyway so win-win. Her attorney will insist you you must pay the remaining credit card bill from that purchase that is still getting paid off.

Now just manage to keep it in good condition – no possum nests, etc- for a "while" until it's all used up.

Or- of course- you can just get a small amount from a reseller.

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Thanks, I'll check with OWF. It's not on their site, but now that I think of it, it does seem like they carry 6oz. And I think they give bulk pricing over 20 yards of anything.

Ron – I guess I did mean "bulk discount" rather than wholesale!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You have to call OWF and talk to them

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Ron – favorite post ever. My first truck comes late this or early next month, packed with aluminum widgets. No garage, but a second bedroom. Still hoping to keep the wife. :)

Scott Littlefield

@sclittlefield

Locale: Northern Woods of Maine

Ron… beautifully put.

I can relate. We're out of room now, so going to have to build a garage with a second story.

Still married though, so that's good. :)

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I hope not

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

Not exactly –

More of a composite illustration of stories from all those I've seen and heard about small start up companies that required the dude to go "all in" to get it going.

Point is, had not someone out there gone down that path at least a little ways – no individual or new small cottage gear makers would have access to cutting edge MYOG materials at any price.

Support those who help you push the sport.

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

I'm a potter on the side and that operation has grown from a corner of a room to engross a full basement, kiln shed, waking a long time before dawn everyday to work on it, running a small retail shop, etc, so I know how that goes. The good news is that my wife is on board with it. Otherwise it would be bad.

By the way, what prompted the question was that I was asked to consider having a batch of quilts made for resale by someone. When you buy 20d ripstop from OWF the wholesale/bulk price is a couple dollars a yard cheaper than retail. So I was looking to find the same thing for insulation. A couple dollars yard makes a big difference in the retail price when something is marked up. In the final analysis it doesn't seem to be workable financially. Making gear is like being a potter in this respect: you do it because you want to do it and hope to make some money. You'd rarely say "now there is a great business opportunity!" There are, of course, exceptions to that.

Here's to happy marriages!

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Just called OWF. 6ozsy Apex is $4.16 cheaper per yard at the wholesale rate. .9 ripstop is 2.22 cheaper. Assuming 5 yards of nylon and 2.5 yards of insulation, you're talking about saving $20.50 per quilt at the wholesale rate. At a batch of 4 quilts or so you get wholesale.

Brendan Swihart
    BPL Member

@brendans

Locale: Fruita CO

The only thing is that OWFINC will only sell you 10 yds of Apex per person per year unless you have a "Climashield license". You can still get the wholesale price if you buy 20 yds of a different fabric, but you can't buy 20 yds of Apex (unless this has changed since June when I ordered some 6oz Apex).

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

Wow, good to know. Thanks for passing that along.

Pilate de Guerre

@deguerre

Locale: SE, USA

What is a "Climashield license"?

Michael Barber

@curiouslayman

I called OWF and asked. Basically Climashield forces it's retail channels to enforce this (though apparently some don't). The point being that Climashield want's people that are using more than 10 yrds to open a wholesale account. As Ron pointed out, they ain't gonna sell you anything close to that amount though.

Note that this only applies to Apex. Older gen stuff has no stipulation. The guy speculated that this requirement would have likely been stipulated by large customers, not Climashield themselves.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools