Topic

Lightweight Inflatable Sleeping Airmats – State of the Market Report 2011
Part 1: Important Factors When Choosing an Airmat

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Lightweight Inflatable Sleeping Airmats – State of the Market Report 2011
Part 1: Important Factors When Choosing an Airmat

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Addie Bedford
    BPL Member

@addiebedford

Locale: Montana
    . .
    BPL Member

@biointegra

Locale: Puget Sound

Thanks for the whetting article and series intro. I am greatly looking forward to the rest of the report as well and am happy to see Kookabay pads included.

Devin Montgomery
    BPL Member

@dsmontgomery

Locale: one snowball away from big trouble

Yummm. BPL at its analytical best. Delicious.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

We sell the Klymit X Frame Pads and they are the lightest inflatable pads available at the same width and length available.

The above listed regular full length X Frame ( 9oz) and the new not listed Torso Length X Frame (6oz) and the wider/longer not listed X Frame XL (16oz) all have inflation hand pump ports and mouth ports but almost no one ever uses or carries the 1oz pump.

All of the Klymit sleep pads can be inflated to proper comfort levels easily by mouth alone. The torso size one takes only 1-3 breathes and the reg length 3-7 breaths – very very fast.

I've not heard back from a single customer or talked to anyone that ever used the pump in the field. It might be handy if you are very heavy.

Warren Greer
    Spectator

@warrengreer

Locale: SoCal

Just got going and it's over. Can't wait for Part 2. Too bad that the newest ThermaRest pads aren't in the round up.

>> Bender <<
    BPL Member

@bender

Locale: NEO

FYI the pricing as tested for Kooka Bay airmats is as follows:

Rectangular Synthetic insulated with Climashield Apex 46x20x2.5" $99

GoosePad (DAM) 800+ FP Canadian Goose Down 72x24x3.5" $219

TaperLite $69.99

Kooka Bay now has custom made air valves! These new valves are welded directly to the nylon fabric for an extremely reliable seal. Valve airflow has increased 2x for easier inflation & deflation. Weight was kept to a minimal 11.5g! The Synthetic insulated airmats will be available on our website in about a month and the GoosePads will follow shortly.

Here is a pic of the new style valve.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

I hope you placed a pea beneath that amazing stack 'o mats!

Great work all, and no small task you've tackled.

Cheers,

Rick

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Love the pic of the ultimate air mat!

Appreciate your efforts to research this topic.

Keep 'em coming.

Jeffrey Dunning
    Spectator

@boredomhero

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I think your laboratory staff should wear hairnets and lab coats. The methods are great and the results will be valuable, but the lab setting was a little jarring :)

Henk Smees
    BPL Member

@theflyingdutchman

Locale: Spanish Mountains

First of: Something has gone wrong with the footnote (16) of the Vaude Norrsken??

Second (more important): Since I am about to buy a new mat (had more or less decided to go for a NeoAir), I find this article to very timely. Really appreciate the effort. I'll wait now until the rest of this series is out before making the final decision.

Thanks.

Gabe Miller
    BPL Member

@gabespartan

I think it's the best on the market, comparatively. I have the long and normal men's. Very solid, the long actually only weighs 11 oz. and the R-value is 2.4. Only cost $70 on sale too.

Michael Arambula

@marambula

Very excited about this protocol. However it's just enough to really tease my appetite for results.
    Looking forward to the finished product! Thank you for the hard work!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I have a full length Klymit X Frame Pad and will attest that there is no need fo the pump. You can even give short quick breaths to the pad and make it way to hard just from oral inflation.

I think the pump would be more of an ammusing toy for a 4 year old than anything.

Brian Peck
    BPL Member

@brianpeck

Locale: North America

Hi, Great to see detailed reviews, I love the stats and appraisals. Although this is an airmat review I still shy away from inflatables for long remote trips. In these situations I like the Thermarest SoLite at 540gm, R2.8 for a full 77×25" though I don't have one yet. Simple, bulletproof, trimmable though bulkier. 77" is just right for this 6'4" hiker. Ah well, just wanted to put my 2 cents in..

Exiting Tibet into Nepal

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

Hi

Nice read. I did find the comment on the Exped Synmat SL 7S being hard to get interesting. They seem to be readily available here in Australia and for a lot less than the US MRP. I picked mine up in July for AU$108 :) US buyers might want to consider buying from Australia. A quick Google should find you are reasonably priced Western Australian dealer.

Andrew

Matt Sanger
    BPL Member

@iparider

which new thermarest pads are those???

Walter Underwood
    BPL Member

@wunder

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

When I switched from my Therm-a-Rest ProLite to a NeoAir, I found that I didn't need to clear out (non-sharp) sticks or rocks where I slept. This helps avoid leaving a clean spot where a camper has obviously been. I could even sleep over small roots or embedded rocks, so it opened up camping spots that wouldn't work with a thinner mattress.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools