Topic

what is your favorite food for a backpacking trip?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition what is your favorite food for a backpacking trip?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

Mine would have to be the Fabulous Fry Brownies from Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin' by Tim and Christine Conners.

Just after Tim and Christine sent their book off to the publisher they joined us for a canoe trip. We were camped across from a beautiful waterfall in a place nicknamed the Cascades and the couple offered up these amazing treats.

Recipe used with permission from the authors http://www.booksbyconners.com

"Total weight: 1 pound 2 oz
    Weight per serving: 3 oz
    Total Servings: 6

Ingredients:
    1 cup flour
    1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa (baking cocoa)
    3/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2 tablespoons milk powder (or soy powder)
    1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (or carob chips)
    1/4 cup walnuts
    12 teaspoons of oil added on the trail. (2 teaspoons per serving)
    12 tablespoons of water added on the trail (2 tablespoons per serving)

At home:
    In a bowl, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, salt and milk. Once fully mixed add chocolate chips and nuts. Place 1/2 cup of mix into each of 6 quart-sized freezer bags. Each bag will equal one serving. Carry oil and water separately.

On the trail:
    To make one serving, heat 1 teaspoon of oil in pan at LOW heat. Add a second teaspoon of oil and 2 tablespoons of water to one bag of brownie mix. Knead in bag. Once the pan is hot, scoop small spoon-sized mounds onto pan (or cut out a corner of the bag and squeeze your mounds). Cook until bottoms are browned and tops are no longer shiny. Flip, flatten and brown the other side.

Suzanne Allen
    Seattle, WA"

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

super-GORP coupled with Clif Bars – usually this is all i eat on the trail coupled with oatmeall and green tea. i know, boring, but simple. for me trail life must meet the following criteria: peaceful, simple, beautiful scenery with plants, wildlife, and geological sights, and to some degree physically demanding (in the sense of exercise/physical conditioning).

i go to Stop&Shop and they have separate plactic cookie jars filled with GORP-fixins: dried pineapple, dried papaya, bannana chips, raisins, craisins, dried appricots, shredded dried coconut, etc., plus unsalted nuts (cashews, almonds, peanuts, peacans, walnuts) and sesame seeds and unsalted sunflower seeds.

i skip the yogurt chips and karob chips – especially in the summer.

Clif bars i just buy from Campmor.com

Lorraine Pace

@sowthefrikan

Mine would be biltong, the South African version of beef jerky – far better than what you get here.

Your recipe looks good and it's been saved. Thanks!

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

what is South African Beef Jerky like? is it just the spices that are different?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools