Topic

Wrongful death lawsuit – Olympic National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web Wrongful death lawsuit – Olympic National Park

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Dirk Rabdau

@dirk9827

Locale: Pacific Northwest

A hiker was gored by a mountain goat last year in Olympic National Park by a mountain goat. His family will file suit against ONP seeking $10 million alleging wrongful death.

This was a tragedy – the hiker in question loved the park and it is important not to lose sight of the effect upon his friends and loved ones.

I try to keep an open mind to most lawsuits – it's easy to spout off without knowing the full breadth of the facts. However, in this case, it seems that this is one of those unfortunate flukes that can happen – it's the .0001 stastical chance applied to millions of visitors over the course of decades.

Goats are a controversial aspect of ONP – they are not a native species and there have been calls to eliminate them. However, there have also been strong advocates who wish to protect the goats.

Having hiked in the park and encountered goats – even ones that might be considered at least protective(i.e. agressive) – it's tough to necessarily fault anyone. The chances of being killed by a goat seem remote – especially the chances of having your femoral artery cut.

Dirk

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Goat-goring death sparks ban on peeing near Olympic Park trails

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/125220079.html

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Joe Clement
    BPL Member

@skinewmexico

Locale: Southwest

I would have thought goats were native. And I never keep an open mind about lawsuits. Somewhere there is a slimy attorney who will get 60-70% of whatever settlement is reached.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools