Topic

Need Help Picking SUL Insulation and List Critique

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums SuperUltraLight (SUL) Backpacking Discussion Need Help Picking SUL Insulation and List Critique

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

I have done several hikes this summer at an SUL weight. I hike in the mountain of NE Georgia and North Carolina, and during these hot summer months, it isn't too hard to drop a lot of weight. Lately, I have been looking over my list trying to prepare it for a larger range of temperatures. I would like to take it down to 30*, but above freezing, say 35*, would be a nice point as well. Here is a link to what I have so far. Getting some critique on it about things I've undoubtedly missed would be great.

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3888

My list currently has a quilt made of 2.5oz Apex that I can wear like a JRB Stealth. According to MLD this insulation may have some difficulties getting down to even 35* though, and I may end up making a down quilt with about 2" of loft to replace this. One thing I think I need on the list is a jacket of some sort to augment this quilt. What are the opinion's out there on the best insulation layer. I'm looking for flexibility through seasons so that I really only need the one item. I will end up making whatever piece I decide on myself, so want to make sure each detail is just right for what I need.

My questions are, do you think a jacket made of the 2.5oz Apex would make my Apex quilt reach these temps, or does anyone have experience with this insulation during colder seasons? Will down save weight over synthetic with this fairly low amount insulation? I know a vest would be easier and lighter, but would a vest be a better option than a jacket? And finally, would a hood on it be worth it?

My current hopes are something along the lines of a Kinsman for synthetic or (with a lot of luck in making it) a down jacket similar to Jamie's newest jacket creation for down. This kinsman pattern doesn't have a hood, so I would have to add one on, but think I could figure it out if it would really help that much.

tyler marlow

@like-sisyphus

Locale: UTAH

Posted to a different thread than intended.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wear a vest and sleeping bag. When it gets down to maybe 35F I start getting cold. My vest and sleeping bag are synthetic a little thicker than 2.5 oz Apex. I think I require a little less insulation than average.

I think if you have a 2.5 oz Apex quilt and jacket maybe 40F would be lower comfort limit. 1 inch down quilt plus 2.5 Apex jacket – 35F. 1.25 inch down quilt plus 2.5 Apex jacket – 30F.

Vest provides insulation over torso where it's needed most.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

Not sure of your insulation situation, but here are some general suggestions to go lighter:

-Swap nalgene for poland springs or Deer Park bottled water bottle:
    Poland Springs 8fl oz bottle 10g

-Swap Ti spoon for Carvel Spoon long handled spoon:
    1-2g/.07oz.
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=49443

-User Chlorine Dioxide tablets instead of Aquamira

-Swap ibuprofen for aleve (less pills to carry, provided they work just the same)

Swap travel toothpaste for:
    http://www.briangreen.net/2011/07/diy-single-use-antibiotic-packs.html

-Swap trash bag for nylofume bags (BPLers have been selling them recently)

-Use sticks instead of stakes

-If you already carry an emergency poncho, bivy, and tarp, why not replace the emergency poncho and tarp w/ poncho/tarp and then carry polycro ground sheet for more robust and lighter sleeping shelter system?

GL!

Chris M
    BPL Member

@kringle

Locale: California

Thanks for all of the input.

Right now my colder weather quilt is a Golite Ultra 20, which just has more weight on it than I think it should. I have about 12 oz of down sitting around, so I think my best bet would be to make a quilt will maybe 1.25 – 1.5" of loft to replace it based on that information.

The critiques are great. The link to the individual packets of things like toothpaste is great. Do you use these Bryce? Do you just pop them open with a blade? Repacking things like that have been a nuisance to me, but this should make life much more simple. I think I'm going to find a way to bring almost all of these into my system. Does aleve take less pills? I got tendinitis at the beginning of the summer, and have had to carry something with me since just in case. I normally repackage them into a small jewelry type baggy, but having less would be very nice all the same. I'll look into that.

I've definitely wanted to move towards a poncho/tarp, and will probably end up making one, but I have a pyramid that I should really finish first. What's the thought on sizes for poncho tarps? I think the MLD poncho/tarp is about 9×5? I haven't had a chance to use a flat tarp before, but the half-mid set up seems nice.

Thanks for the input. Anything else anyone notices would be really appreciated.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I haven't used them yet, but have some hikes coming up where I will. I carry a Stanley Mitey Knife and will just put the packet against a hard surface and slice the end off.

Aleve and Advil are in the same class of drugs, but I believe the dosage allowed per day is less than Advil.
    http://askville.amazon.com/difference-advil-aleve/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=5140866

As for size of poncho/tarp, here were my thoughts:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51106&disable_pagination=1

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhjLmk_trl6BdFMwQnljc1ZaVlVXM1M2NVZnbXdRbEE&hl=en_US#gid=0

GL!

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

Naproxen (aleve) has twice a day dosing as opposed to ibuprofen's every 4-6 hours, so yes that's fewer pills to pack. However, make absolutely sure it works for you before you take it out in the woods. It does jack for me, and luckily I found that out beforehand (I have carpal tunnel that flares badly sometimes). It was still 12 hours before I could take some ibuprofen, but at least it wasn't X number of days till I could *access* ibuprofen.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

For me, advil works for 4-6 hours and aleve doesn't work at all for 12 whole hours.

Hamish McHamish
    BPL Member

@el_canyon

Locale: USA

Another factor is that Aleve is notorious for causing constipation. I've never heard of ibuprofen doing that.

Even if Aleve relieves pain, you don't want to be carrying around that "extra weight" longer than necessary! :)

Jeff J

@j-j-81

Locale: Oregon

Let me preface this by saying I'm not SUL; I'm at around 9 lbs. I'll probably never be SUL simply because I don't constantly look around for the lightest version of something I already have and use. I think Bryce's critiques are spot on for SUL; you have to be shaving grams, not ounces, which is why I'm not interested.

That said, I would add a jacket. Your quilt is wearable, but I assume poncho-like, so your arms are exposed. If you make a hoodie, you'll double (or so) your torso insulation, plus have insulated headwear, plus arm warmth. Omit the zipper and toggles and pockets and other bells and whistles, and you could easily get it under 10 oz.

As a budding MYOGer myself, I think just going with more synthetic is the right call. You *can* get a lower weight by making it out of down, but I suspect there's more savings in omitting features than the added difficulty of down is worth. But that's a reflection of why I'm never going to be SUL.

Thru-Hiker has a hood pattern posted:
    http://thru-hiker.com/projects/hood_pattern.php

That's my advice; it's worth what you paid for it.

Jeff

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

I augment my wearable quilt with Jacks R Better down sleeves.

They are a multiuse item for me.

I wear them w/ the quilt, then throw on my Driducks rain jacket over both of them around camp.

Then when I go to sleep I put the down sleeves on my feet…they are lighter than the booties they replaced (north face), I get to drop the booties from my pack, and then cover all the way up to my lower knee. Win! :p

GL.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I've made a jacket with 2.5 from a thru-hiker design. Came out to 7.8 ounces and is very warm.

Jesse Sleeper

@djester2000

Locale: South Shore

Bryce – Really like your use of the JRB sleeves. Thanks for another multiuse example of something I normally would not have looked into.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools