Topic

Marble Mountains 7/24-7/30

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Marble Mountains 7/24-7/30

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

After having my original plan of a circuit around Emigrant wilderness shut down by snow and high water levels, I decided on making the trip to the Marble Mountains in Klamath NF. I had planned a trip to the Marbles earlier in the summer which was also canceled due to snow, so I was happy that I was able do this hike after all.

We started at Lovers Camp TH. The road up was great! It looked like they had just repaved the road all the way up to the parking lot. Definitely the easiest drive to a trailhead I have had in a long time.

Over the next week we spent nights at Sky High Lakes, Spirit Lake, Cuddihy Lakes, One Mile Lake, and Green Granite Lake. All the lakes were amazing. It was nice getting back to Spirit Lake after my last trip there about 5 years ago. We had the lake to ourselves and it was one of those nights in the wilderness we all dream of. It is a truly amazing place. We only came across one other hiker after the first night at Sky High Lakes. We had seen people camping at a few of the lakes but not a soul on the trails.

All the lakes held good populations of trout, mostly brookies, and fishing was pretty easy at each lake.We kept a few one night for dinner and the rest were C&R. I wish I would have brought along the fly rod too, but in my quest to continue lightening my load, the fly rod was one of the victims. All the fish were caught on small spinners and spoons and these feisty brook trout would have been a blast with a light fly rod.

The trails were in great shape for the most part. There were only a few small sections of snow to deal with, mostly on the ridge approaching the PCT from Sky High Lakes and near Pigeon Roost past Spirit Lake. In between the snow were some of the most impressive displays of wildflowers I have ever seen. The flowers covered entire mountains sides in some areas. I try not to use the word "epic" to often, but, it really describes the scene perfectly. Unfortunately the pictures of this did not turn out.

Overall, it was a great trip and I really can't wait for my next trip to the Marbles.

One of the many types of flowers along the trail

Arn Aarreberg
    Spectator

@aarrebea

Locale: Northern Bay Area, CA

A few more photos

Frying Pan Lake

Near Whiskey Camp

brookie

Above Cuddihy

Marble Rim

trail flower

David K

@aviddk

Locale: SW Oregon

Thanks for your report. We have been trying to decide to go where we won't be mobbed by mosquitos. Glad to hear there weren't mobs of hikers around Sky High Lakes.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools