Topic

MYOG 2011 vs 1983

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear MYOG 2011 vs 1983

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Carl Holt

@sundown

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for some great inspiration on MYOG on this forum. It inspired me to create a new pack using the G4 Pattern from Quest Outfitters with some modifications. I was into MYOG before it was cool so I included my 1983 canoe pack for comparison.
    Canoe Trails Pack
    It has served me well for many nights in the back country. Keep in mind this pack was designed to handle three people's gear (sleeping bag, one change of clothes, personal care and the tent for the canoe team). It has an external pocket shortened on one side to allow a full length ax to be sheathed in a boot that normally would be stitched to the pack. This pack was flipped sideways and sits inside a standard 17" wide Grumman aluminum canoe. This gives room for the allotment of team gear (either a food box, commissary box or a dry goods box). The system allows one person to carry the canoe, one to carry the team pack, one to carry the team gear item depending on your work assignment for the day. This program was an Explorer Post group during the years 1956-present near in Western PA. It weighs about 4-5 lbs empty.

The second pack is my G4 inspired design. Actually it is a mash-up of the G4, the Mariposa Plus and my all time durable pack favorite, the US Army CFP-90.G4 Style 3/4 view

I modified it in several ways. I added 3D Mesh to the inner side of the shoulder straps as well as shortening the pockets on one side to make them into 2 pockets. One fits my first aid kit- which is more like a family or group size kit (the British DPM pattern pouch in the photo).
    side view 1

I also added extra tie outs so I can compress the load down with the extra shock cord I added as well. I also put the Y strap on using some removable buckles from a Military buckle replacement kit (the hardware can be removed without cutting the straps). I also added the removable hip belt from one of my favorite day packs (a 3 Day Assault style pack) and I still have to mod the stabilizer straps on each side of that. The hip belt sits inside a sleeve attachment at the bottom of the back inside the chamfered lower mesh pad pocket.hip belt 1hip belt 2

Here is the back view.

I was a little rusty on the sewing so I need to improve a few things for my next version. I am going to build a more compact panel loader soon with a full back panel out of 3D mesh as well as some other projects. I would like to express thanks to many of the great pack designs found here on the forum and to Mr. Van Peski for his design as well as those that help on the Yahoo group G4. Thanks!

Terry Trimble

@socal-nomad

Locale: North San Diego county

I really like your old canoe pack design and the new military influenced G4 pack it came out pretty nice looking.
    Terry

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools