Topic

Maroon Bells list – hack away

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Maroon Bells list – hack away

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Locale: Midwest

I modified my gear list from my 2010 trip to the Wind River Range & Maroon Bells, dropping 2 pounds. I'm closing in on UL but don't have time or money to swap any of the big 3 this time. I'm heading out Aug 23 for a week in the the Maroon Bells.

My biggest concern is insulating layers. I think the Fugu jacket and Cocoon pants are overkill but that's all I have so I'm NOT taking them this time. I never wore them last year but temps never got below 40 either. I realize it COULD get below freezing, but since I'm solo this time, I figure I could either stay in my bag or hike to stay warm. I have Cap 3 and Cap 4 1/4 zip tops I could take. I have Cap 2 and Cap 3 bottoms I could take (one of which I sleep in). What do you recommend in this case?

Any ideas on where else to cut ounces for cheap? All the camera stuff, Bible & journal is staying.

John Whynot

@jdw01776

Locale: Southeast Texas

I'll be in that same area later in the week. Maybe I'll run into you.

I would take the Fugu, and leave the Cocoon pants at home. I think your bag is warm enough to skip the Cap 2 or 3 bottoms.

Personally, I would find Cap 3 or 4 too warm to hike in, but not warm enough for sleep or camp…

James Byrnes
    Spectator

@backfeets1

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri

Zip pillow ? use stuff sac instead. Or arm of day shirt.
    Wind screen – use foil oven liner .6 oz
    use foil pouch instead of bubble cozy
    replace head strap on headlamp with smaller/shorter size less buckles
    nix eye case
    smaller map enter sections into camera before trip.
    repackage bug spray.
    take less Heet.
    shorten length of contractor bag.
    cut size or number of cards.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

John,
    I don't have a set route yet. I know I want to try Pierre Lakes Basin and will do at least parts of 4 Pass Loop and swing over to the springs on the 28th. I'll have on my tan SA hat and a black Pinnacle.

James,
    Nice to see you drop in, partner. The small ziplocs will be inside a stuff sack a la Mike C!
    Map idea is good. Pain to work with perhaps having to zoom in and move around on such a small screen, but I'll see how I like that.
    I was thinking of nixing the bug spray altogether. I didn't have any issues on our trip last year since I treat my clothes.
    I need the Heet since I'm not resupplying – 1 oz for 2 burns/day for 8 days.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

This weather link may help you:
    http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/iwszone?Sites=:coz033#t1

My last few outings I haven't used the down coat, temps were about 40 in the morning but it does warm up fast if you can find a site with good early morning sun exposure, a running t-shirt, wool hoodie, windshirt, and fleece hat have been enough for me in the morning. You may want to take the Cap 4 for the mornings, it seemed to me you just had the railriders shirt and Dri Ducks? which isn't much. I wouldn't take the insulated pants either.

Have a good trip.

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

My wife and I did the Maroon Bells 2 years ago and on Aug 1st had 1" of ice on our tent
    when we woke up. Don't skimp on insulation.

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Updated list
    Base of 11.63 and FSO < 28.5 with 7 full days of food. I noticed if I filled my 1L bottle totally full the water itself weighs 36 oz so I added the extra 4 oz just in case. The weather looks pretty decent though anything can happen, of course.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

Looks similar to what I have been carrying lately. FYI there was a bear incident up there over the weekend. Will look forward to a trip report.

http://www.denverpost.com/search/ci_18730137

Michael Ray
    BPL Member

@topshot

Hope to get a TR done this week. Must fix wife's car (that broke while I was gone) and install kitchen counters first!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools