Topic

5 days in Glacier National Park (1st gear list. Need to cut weight.)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists 5 days in Glacier National Park (1st gear list. Need to cut weight.)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3969

My trip is in a week. I need to get my weight down, PLEASE HELP.

Some ideas/questions:
    1. Do I ditch the rain skirt and only bring the wind pants?
    2. I am packing a thicker pair of socks for sleeping. Should I leave behind the Smartwool liners? Or do I bring all 3?
    3. Since it might get cold I was going to bring my z-lite to pair with my Torsolite. I have an 1/8" I can bring instead. I am also contemplating a NeoAir or Kookabay pad for more comfort, then ditching the torsolite and z-lite. Not sure what to do here.
    4. Water filter – too heavy! Kind of last minute to replace it. Might try and pick up a steri-pen opti to replace the SweetWater. Thoughts? (I would need to bring a pre-filter bottle, right?)
    5. I was going to bring the WM flash pants in case the temp drops. Should I ditch them?
    6. Replace the Platy hoser with a lighter 2nd soft bottle?
    7. I am packing a Lunar Duo for my mom and I. She will most likely carry the spreader poles and stakes.

Thank you so much!

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Angelo, have you checked your route for current snow hazards? A few of the highest areas still have snowfields where crampons and an axe are a good idea (I used them on the E side of Gunsight Pass this past weekend, but only in a few spots).

I can't imagine you'll use down pants, unless you sleep really cold.

I'd ditch the rain skirt and mitts if the forecast looks good (chance of rain less than 30%, warm temps). If you get cold easy, bring 'em anyway.

As for socks, I'd only bring two pairs, unless you typically hike in liners and thicker socks. Don't mess with a proven system.

For me, the torsolite would be enough ground insulation.

Water in Glacier is abundant and very good. Drops are enough. On a related note, I find a single 32 oz bottle more than enough capacity. Typically I bring a single 20 oz bottle and do fine. Just drink off and fill up at every opportunity, and be strategic about stretches that might be dry.

You'll want good bug protection, the mosquito season has been nuts this summer.

Angelo R.
    Spectator

@zalmen_mlotek

Locale: Northwest CT

Yes, and right now I think Fifty Mtn and Stony Indian Pass are still quite snowy, which means my mom will want to change our route (doesn't want to try out crampons and an ice axe). Will the rangers be OK with a re-route?

Ditched the down pants, z-lite and MSR SweetWater. Replacing with Aquamira droppers and 1/8" pad.

Socks: I am ditching the liners and keeping the thicker socks for sleeping (and possible back-up).

I have an OR bug headnet but I am replacing with Pete's Headnet.

Anything else I can cut down or multi-use? This my first time adding up all my gear weight, I am heavier than I thought. I was hoping for 10lbs max.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Get rid of the trowel, all sites will have a toilet (usually a seat on a hole in the woods, but sometimes with a roof and walls).

50 Mountain is no doubt snowy, but is not steep enough to require an axe. I'll be headed over that next weekend and will no bring anything more than poles. Stoney Indian could be hairy in spots, and the trail status reports are not especially encouraging. 923 (the Goat Haunt BC ranger) is our neighbor during the off-season and she gives conservative but accurate reports.

The rangers have been dealing with reroutes all year, and will I'm sure be happy to work with you. I'd call them ASAP and give them your permit number and concerns, they might be able to set you up with a good alternative even before you arrive here.

Robert Dusing

@morob325

Locale: texas

I camped at fifty mtn on Sunday night, and there was no snow on the trail from goat haunt, and a few snow fields that could be skirted or crossed without equipment on the upper highline. The ahern drift, about 5 miles north of granite park, was supposedly blown with dynamite today as it was pretty sketchy to cross. The cattle queen drift, a few miles north of the ahern, was basically a snow bridge that was you may or may not want to cross. We crossed it about 10 yards uphill from where the trail goes under because a large portion of the snow bridge had melted away under that area on the northern side.

Your list looks good.

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

Are you seeing any of the fuzzy-wuzzies there?

–B.G.–

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Saw a big, fat, blond sow Griz with 2 huge yearling cubs in the 50 Mtn meadow on Saturday. They were eating roots and ran away once they smelled us.

Robert Cowman
    BPL Member

@rcowman

Locale: Canadian Rockies

i was in waterton last week, the canadian part of the peace park, and saw 4 bears, including 2 griz and one was a sow with a cub. no snow on the highest passes i went through (7000-9000ft)

i only carried for outerwear, houdini jacket, whim pants(both non waterproofs) a pair of liner socks for sleeping and a cocoon hoody. i had on wool tee shirt and running shorts.

ditch the R1, Rain skirt,heavy socks, balaclava, one of the platys, head lamp and spare batteries, trowel,bear whistle.

add some bear spray.

photon should be enough for light.

use a tent stake for a trowel if u have to

wind pants dry quickly

u have a wind shirt for hiking if its cold, R1 is redundnat with the UL parka.

balaclava is redundant with the hood on the parka.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools