Topic

How do you carry your MFT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography How do you carry your MFT?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Some months ago, after patiently waiting for its release, I got a Panasonic GF2 (I was wavering between the GF1 and GF2 until the very end.)

I'd like to get some ideas as to how people carry this size camera and additional kit while hiking/scrambling/skiing/running/etc. I prefer not to carry cameras around my neck. I get all tangled up in various straps. For longer trips or strenuous outings, I've been opting for my LX5 or something even simpler and easier to carry– and hence safer. I do not want to get hurt because I was distracted by my camera!

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I carry my Sony NEX 5 in a padded case slung across my body so it rests on my hip. I find this comfortable and secure and it doesn't get in the way. I use a wide strap to spread the load across my shoulders. I used to carry a much bigger and heavier DSLR like this too – and still do when I take two cameras.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

I carry my GF2 on my chest in a micro four-thirds specific top loading Lowepro case attached to the d-rings on my shoulder straps. This avoids the camera being worn across my neck and the weight of the camera is indistinguishable. If you're interested the case I found for my GF2 is the Lowepro Compact ILC Courier 80, its slim and very miniscule in size, has a simple top zipper and Velcro flap lid, with 2 small d-rings on the top of each side. The interior is padded with enough room to carry the kit lens on the body or a pancake lens and one additional lens. The case is also what I use when I carry the GF2 out and about across my shoulder.

backpackerchick
    BPL Member

@backpackerchick

Do you have to pull the camera back over your arm/work your arm back under the strap when you want to get a picture?

Ken Bennett
    Spectator

@ken_bennett

Locale: southeastern usa

I carry my GF1 with the 20mm lens and the EVF in a small waist pack worn on the front of my waist. I use a neoprene wrist strap. Access is easy, and other small items fit in the front pocket. I got the waist pack for <$10 at Walmart.

Spare batteries and cards go in my ditty bag carried inside my pack. I usually bring a Gorillapod in the back pocket of my pack, for dusk and dawn photos. I rarely bring a second lens.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

"Do you have to pull the camera back over your arm/work your arm back under the strap when you want to get a picture?"

No, the camera strap isn't in use so I can just take the camera out of the pouch.

Jason Elsworth
    Spectator

@jephoto

Locale: New Zealand

I don't own one, but these look promising, if they are big enough for your set up. I am planning on switching from 35mm to a 4/3 later this year and will look at getting one of these.

http://www.blackrapid.com/product/camera-strap/snapr35/

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools