Topic

Bamboo for tarp poles — joining methods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Bamboo for tarp poles — joining methods?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I have some 1/2 diameter black bamboo that seems to work well for supporting a tarp.
    I plan to use two 21 inch lengths, so I need to join the two pieces.
    Looks like a sleeve on the OD or a peg on ID.

Anyone have any success with either method or another way?

They will be a little heavy, but good enough for me to try using a tarp.

I don't use and have no desire for hiking poles.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Can you find some tubing or a rod that is of a diameter to fit inside the bamboo? The fit would have to be snug, not loose. Then stick the rod in one end with some of the it sticking out. Then you can slip the other bamboo stick over the rod.

Mercutio Stencil
    BPL Member

@fuzz2050

If the fit is close, but not quite there, you can usually make up the difference using duct tape.

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

Either way seems easy enough to me. Just epoxy one or the other on the end of one of your poles and call it a day. Sleeving the OD might be the stronger method, as a buckling load with a peg on the ID might cause the bamboo to split, but I dunno. I've never worked with bamboo, personally.

And you've actually inspired me. I don't currently use trekking poles and have been looking at tarp poles (but I'm on a tight budget), and they sell bamboo rods in the landscaping section of my local Lowes hardware store. I might have to get a couple and see how well they work for me.

BM

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

you don't need tarp poles, sticks are all over the ground in the woods.

-Tim

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Unless you aren't in the woods….
    Above the tree line, tundra, grasslands, ect.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

of course, but the OP is from MI (where i grew up playing outside) so i assumed he'd be closer to home, but you are of course right. i was just stating the obvious which sometimes does get missed, forest for the trees and all that.

-Tim

Ultra Magnus

@ultra_magnus

I just bought some at lowes, and cut down to 48" they are 7oz/pair… What do yours weigh?

Thanks,
    BM

Tim Zen
    Spectator

@asdzxc57

Locale: MI

I have three pieces of black bamboo.
    1/2" OD, 61" long, 5.10 ounces.
    3/4" OD, 60.5" long, 7.70 ounces.
    1 1/4" OD, 61" long, 14.55 ounces.

The .5" OD is stiffer than I need for a tarp. I could not get it to buckle.
    I am going to use 42" long poles, so that is about 3.9 ounces for the 1/2 OD.
    Extrapolating, a 3/8" OD is 3 ounces, which isn't too bad. The CF pole from MLD is 1.65 ounces.

In the meanwhile what I have will allow me to evaluate using a tarp.
    Next time I am out on the west coast I will cut some 3/8 and 1/4 OD pieces.

If I had a metal lathe I would clean up the ends and attach a thin metal sleeve.
    Unfortunately I will have to do a hack.

The original intent of the bamboo was to try using hiking poles. I was not sure what diameter would work and what they would weigh once they dried. The 3/4" OD is stiff enough for a hiking pole, but probably too heavy for most. I can use the 1 1/4" as a pullup bar.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

You can do the same thing i have on my bamboo fishing pole – two fittings that are pressure fitted onto the two parts of the pole – when ready – just insert one into the other

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools