Topic

Hiker Falls 50’…..eats bugs :)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Hiker Falls 50’…..eats bugs :)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Here's an article on CNN about a woman who fell 50' and broke her leg in two places. It took 3 days for them to find her. She covered herself in moss at night to stay warm and ate berries and caterpillars.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08/03/woman-survives-50-foot-fall-off-wilderness-cliff/

Good to hear they found her. I'm not sure I would have resorted to eating caterpillars this quickly, but I guess it would be something to do while you wait.

tommy d

@vinovampire

Wow – that's quite a story. I'm glad she's alive and well. And, I would definitely have eaten some caterpillars.

Leigh Baker
    BPL Member

@leighb

Locale: Northeast Texas Pineywoods

Dan, I'm with you on this one, LOL! I'm glad they found her, obviously I can't say what I'd have done, but I think I'd eaten berries, leaves and bark, and maybe saved the caterpillars for a few days later, but then I wasn't there…and hope I never am.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I wonder how long she and the boyfriend had been dating before this mishap, and how long they'll continue dating after it. Either the story is missing info or he didn't do a lot of searching himself…….

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Yeah it does seem really weird that it took 3 days considering the circumstances.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools