Topic

Sawyer filter: does it ever need replacement?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sawyer filter: does it ever need replacement?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Does the Sawyer inline 3 way filter ever need to be replaced? I understand it has a 1,000,000 gallon guarantee. So if I took this filter on a through hike would I ever have to replace it? Would back flushing in the field be good enough to keep the filter from clogging?

http://www.rei.com/product/801824/sawyer-3-way-inline-water-filter

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Casey,

It is field-backflushable and so long as it's not too badly clogged I presume it will soldier on for a long time. Filtering, say, glacier flour from the slopes of Rainier or Colorado River murk might eventually render it unusable until you get to high-pressure water for a more thorough cleaning.

I don't know anybody who's sent one in for replacement/repair, so can't verify their guarantee. My feeling is with adequate care and no truly awful source water, the filter's life is quite long. The biggest threat could be mildew from improper long-term storage.

Sawyer's instructions are available on line for more on backflushing.

Cheers,

Rick

Aaron Benson

@aaronmb

Locale: Central Valley California

I've read that as long as it is properly maintained (back flushed) the life-span is about infinite (providing it doesn't freeze). From what I understand, the "1M gallons" was a legal thing because they couldn't say it was good forever. I don't know if all that's true, but I 'think' I read that here – which must make it right. Right? ;)

In the Reviews area here, there may be some good reading for you: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/reviews/display_reviews?forum_thread_id=5536&cat=Hydration%20-%20Water%20Treatment&cid=55

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools