Topic

First UL try

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists First UL try

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

My first UL gear list, after spending hours/day/weeks/months trolling this forum and collecting gear: http://www.geargrams.com/list?id=3761

I'm going to Glacier National park in 4 weeks. My route is:
    8/29 GRN 22 GRANITE PARK
    8/30 FIF 34 FIFTY MOUNTAIN
    8/31 KOO 22 KOOTENAI LAKE
    9/ 1 GLH 35 GLENNS LAKE, HD
    9/ 2 ELF 21 ELIZABETH LAKE, FT
    9/ 3 MAN 34 MANY GLACIER

One thing to note, I'm going with one other person so I split the tent weight in half. We'll divvy up the weight one way or another.

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

I don't know Glacier NP, but list looks pretty good. A few things stand out, tho:

>Seems a shame to carry such a pared-down list in such a heavy pack. Can you replace it?
    >You'll prob. want a windscreen with the canister stove. There's several threads and articles on here showing how to do it safely (ie, so canister doesn't overheat and explode).
    >Toothpaste, Aquamira etc can be repackaged to reduce quantity/weight. Are you taking insect repellent?
    >Rain pants and pants both seem kind of heavy. Can you ditch the rain pants, or take dri-duck pants?
    >1 oz for map and compass seems quite light. Is that just a button compass and a few 8.5 x 11 printouts? Just curious.
    >You may find metal stakes (aluminum or titanium) will be lighter and work better than plastic. I just picked up some MSR aluminum needle stakes–0.3-0.4 oz, less that $2/ea.

Mary R
    BPL Member

@pietimer

>Seems a shame to carry such a pared-down list in such a heavy pack. Can you replace it?
    Yeah, I know my pack is a obvious weak point. I was thinking about trying to pick one up on gear swap. I haven't really looked in to pack at all yet though.

>You'll prob. want a windscreen with the canister stove. There's several threads and articles on here showing how to do it safely (ie, so canister doesn't overheat and explode).
    Good thought. I'll look in to it.

>Toothpaste, Aquamira etc can be repackaged to reduce quantity/weight. Are you taking insect repellent?
    I was not planning on bringing insect repellent. I heard they won't be to bad in GNP when I'm there.
    For Aquamira–what can I repackage them in to?

>Rain pants and pants both seem kind of heavy. Can you ditch the rain pants, or take dri-duck pants?
    Yeah–the pants are a bit heavy, but I don't feel like buying new ones just yet. That is a good idea to use the dri-duck pants. I'm reluctant to not bring any rain pants because I heard that the weather can get quickly cold and rainy. I initial didn't want to bring the dri-duck pants because of how flimsy they are, but it shouldn't really matter in GNP.

>1 oz for map and compass seems quite light. Is that just a button compass and a few 8.5 x 11 printouts? Just curious.
    I think I just had the weight for the maps. I changed the weight to include the compass.

>You may find metal stakes (aluminum or titanium) will be lighter and work better than plastic. I just picked up some MSR aluminum needle stakes–0.3-0.4 oz, less that $2/ea.
    I was originally using the stakes that came with the tarptent, but I had problems with the stakes pulling out of the ground–which is something I don't want with a non-freestanding tent. The old plastic ones I have seem to hold pretty well in to the ground (the stakes have wings on them, which is what does the trick I think). How well would the needle stakes work?

David Drake
    BPL Member

@daviddrake

Locale: North Idaho

Pack: Ask for suggestions in the forums and you'll get plenty. I think Golite has a 40% off coupon still going (search Gear Deals)–if you can find your size in stock, you could get a Jam for $90. Haven't used one myself, but many seem to like it. At 27 oz, it's not the lightest, but is about half what you currently carry and can be trimmed some.

I repackage Aquamira in trial-size bottles of visine (about 1/4 oz size). There are places to buy little bottles online, but with shipping cost and wait time, I find it easier to buy the trial bottles, dump out the contents, and reuse. You need to recalibrate drop size tho. I use slightly larger reused dropper bottles to repackage DEET. Mike C!'s book tells how to make dried toothpaste dots–I used to take a mostly-used trail-sized tube of toothpaste, but now use a teeny tube I got from a hotel in Japan (can be refilled). My toothpaste + cut-down toothbrush weigh 0.2 oz together, which makes me unreasonably happy, considering I'd prob. never notice the difference between that and 2 oz when packed.

The needle stake seem to work fine–I didn't exactly research them, just bought the lightest I could get locally. Haven't used them very long. Cross section is rectangular, so they hold better than round. MSR and others also make stakes with Y or X cross-sections, which hold very well.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Mark Ries
    Spectator

@mtmnmark

Locale: IOWAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I had a rain shadow 2 also and I used the stakes that henry provided EXCEPT for the front and back lines which I went to MSR ground hogs on which are Y stakes coglan also makes a y stake and it is even longer than the MSR Do not use needle stakes on the front and back lines I also guyed out the sides and anchored the back corners as well If it was me 2 Msr y stakes@ .5 oz each the 4 stakes that come with it @.35 oz each and two more stakes of any kind for the back corners so 3 oz total no real savings but my tent stays up.

Tommy Smith
    BPL Member

@someguysname

Locale: Texas

Is that spork weight correct? You could lose 1/4 pound by replacing that if so…

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools