Topic

Links for newbs? Backpacking Etiquette

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Links for newbs? Backpacking Etiquette

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    put put

@putput

Locale: Hawaiian Islands

I will be going on a 7 day trip with a group of 8 people. 4 of the people have never backpacked before and while they are very excited about trip and eager to learn, I am realizing how much info there is to explain to them. Most of their questions have been gear/meal related, but after a few discussions I realized that the are also quite unaware of backcountry basics such as how to pooop (ha..this was detected by the profanity filter)in the woods, campsite selection, bathing, noise and proximity to other campers, etc.

I have been searching for a pretty comprehensive list/blog post or site about the basics of backpacking etiquette and have found many that touch on a few things here and there, but are not very thorough. The LNT principals will be shared with them, but it also lacks a lot of the more….social… aspects that I feel are also very important. I don't really follow blogs or anything, but I was wondering if anyone had a link(s) that they feel would greatly benefit new backpackers.

Links to sites or blogs are preferred over forum threads because the conflicting info that threads provide can be confusing since we always have a hard time convincing others that our way is far superior to theirs. HYOK.

Much appreciated

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

bumping this b/c I'd love to read something like this too.

Jace Mullen

@climberslacker

Locale: Your guess is as good as mine.

This might help. Plus its actually hilarious.

http://recparks.asp.radford.edu/faculty/behavior.htm

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

RULE #10 Do not get killed.

The worst thing to have on your outdoor resume is the list of the possible locations of your body.

I LOVE IT!

Joseph R
    BPL Member

@dianoda

Locale: Chicago, IL

Sorry, I don't have any links worth sharing for their humor, but… When I started out backpacking I read through the The Backpacker's Field Manual by Rick Curtis – it has a good sections on LNT, hygiene, etc. – all the basics are covered. If your friends have access to a library it would be a worthwhile check-out. Maybe not the most interesting read, but a great source of information if you have the time to digest it.

Additionally, the LNT.org website is pretty good, too. Not overwhelming and a quick study:

http://www.lnt.org/programs/principles.php

I'm curious to see what others have to share…

Edit – Jace: I really enjoyed that link, thanks for the share

spelt with a t
    BPL Member

@spelt

Locale: Rangeley, ME

That would be me. I've learned to channel it into less-annoying behaviors. Unless I *want* to annoy someone. Then, all bets are off. ;)

Ryan Krause

@rmkrause

Locale: Pacific Northwest

How to p00p with Mike Clelland! and Scott Christi – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmwxkD86Ec

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I was going to post the poo poo clinic, too. If anything, it'll make it okay to talk about such things.

I think that Paul Mags wrote a good beginner backpacking article. Not so much etiquette, but just a good getting started primer.
    http://www.pmags.com/backpacking-a-beginners-primer

You could just point them to a basic ethics page like one of these. You can find others on the web. Not all places have the same rules. As you can see from the 2nd link, the San Gorgonio wilderness requires you have a trowel and that you pack out your TP. Mt. Whitney requires using a wag-bag now. So you might want to research the area you are going just in case.
    http://www.backpacking.net/ethics.html
    http://www.sgwa.org/impact.htm

David Vo

@sygyzy

Beginner question – what is the purpose of packing out TP? Why can't you just bury it in the same hole with your waste? I know paper doesn't biodegrade as fast as organic material but it is probably close. It's really thing paper and will just absorb into the ground, won't it? I've also heard of people advising burning your TP. Is that ok too?

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

Often the waste gets dug up by critters and the paper (which, as you point out, degrades more slowly) is exposed to the air. In dry weather, the paper takes a really long time to degrade. In popular places, there is just too much being buried! I have buried TP on rare occasions, but only if I can dig an extra deep hole, pour in water and stir the hole contents thoroughly for several minutes to make a soup. This will speed up the process. I personally use paper towel squares (more absorbent) and moist towelettes (due to a medical condition). The towelettes, of course, don't degrade. 99% of the time I pack everything out. There is no way with my problems that I could get by with natural materials, and I certainly don't want to be pulling up vegetation in sensitive alpine areas.

Burning TP has started forest fires in a number of places. All it takes is dry conditions and a sudden gust of wind at the wrong time!

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

The point is that every backpacking area has its own rules and regulations and guidelines. It is the responsibility of the backpacker to know those rules. In some cases, you have to sign a wilderness permit that states that you agree to those rules.

Some areas are very sensitive about forest fires, so burning up TP is not recommended. Some areas have sensitive soils that can't sustain a zillion cat holes per day, so nothing is to be buried at all. The Mount Whitney Zone users are issued waste pack-out bags.

–B.G.–

Kendall Clement
    BPL Member

@socalpacker

Locale: Cebu, Philippines

Jace,
    Very funny!

And, Mike Clelland's and Scott Christie's video was hysterical! Thanks, Ryan.

Eli .

@feileung

The author of this page explains a lot of basics (in basic language). Not my favorite writing style but decent nonetheless.

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/life-on-the-trail/life-on-the-trail-2

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools