Topic

My xul gear list

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

Item,Ounces,Grams
    Packing,,
    Alter Ego Granite Peak ,4.5,127
    Pack Liner ,0.2,5
    Shelter,,
    Poncho Tarp,8.5,240
    Plastic Ground Sheet ,1.2,34
    Sleep,,
    Ocf Pad,3.5,99
    Alter Ego 2.5 Quilt ,13.4,379
    Cooking,,
    Alchy System,3.5,99
    1liter Platy ,0.7,21
    1liter Platy ,0.7,21
    Spork ,0.5,14
    Clothing,,
    Fleece Benie ,1.4,39
    Other,,
    Stripped Down E's,2.2,62
    Worn,,
    Grt Pants ,8.5,240
    Shirt ,9.0,255
    Socks ,1.5,42
    Hat,1.0,28
    Vibram 5fingers ,12.0,340
    Consumables,,

There it is add it all up and it's s hair over 2.5 base but with everything in my pack on the scale it's exactly 2.5. the "alter ego gear" is just myog and the name for my dream company. so anyway there's the list went out with this kit for the first time this last weekend and man was
    It liberating with that light pack. night time low of 40 and I stayed warm and dry through a good sized storm and overall just comfy. I encourage everyone to try a xul kit it sure was fun getting that low but boy it was a challenge

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

[Look Here to post an readable gear list.]

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

What's this 9oz shirt?

A little more detail on the items would be helpful to fully understand what you're packing.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

This list is missing alot of safety items.

Medical- NOTHING (could improvise)
    Shelter- poncho, ground sheet; NO STAKES OR CORD
    Fire- alcohol stove; NO FIRE STARTER (may be included in alcohol stove weight)
    Hydration- two platypus containers; NO WATER TREATMENT
    Communication- NOTHING
    Navigation- NOTHING
    Nutrition- consumables
    Insulation- pad, quilt, fleece beanie
    Sun Protection- hat, pants, shirt
    Tools- NO CUTTING TOOL

? stripped down E's- not clear

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Yes, more details (i.e. alky system, ocf pad dimensions, stripped-down E's) would be helpful.

In addition to items pointed out by others, I don't see any kind of cutting tool, like a knife, nor an insulating layer. While NM is admittedly unusually dry this year, what happens if you did get wet and/or it turned unexpectedly cold? Not a problem for a fast overnighter, but could get nasty fast on a longer hike. You can't stay in your quilt forever.

IMO, the content of one's gear kit – whether XUL, SUL, UL, LW, or everything but the kitchen sink – should be defined relative to (1) where one is going, (2) the expected weather, and (3) the length of time between re-supply stops and/or the total length of the hike. Longer hikes may require that one swap out items to meet anticipated changes.

It is logical to assume that a summer overnight or weekend hike in a dry environment can get by with less than would be needed for a week-long early spring or late fall slug through the North Cascades.

If one is willing to compromise safety (if I don't use it every day, why carry it?), one can legimately argue otherwise. Items such as the already-mentioned first aid kit and insulating layer, plus a repair kit come readily to mind.

As always, knowledge and experience weigh nothing and should, IMO, be the required basis for lightening one's kit.

William Zila
    BPL Member

@ultralightwillinn-m

Locale: Albuquerque

The 9oz Shirt was a Columbia fishing shirt I replaced that with a short sleeve synthetic. The strippe down e's include a firstsid kit strait edge razor photon light lighter 5 waterproof matches the pad is 17×38. I use my quilt as insulation in the morning and evening those are the only times I'm not moving I hike 8-12 hours a day. I replaced my 9 ounce shirt with a 4.5 one plus a widshirt. And replace my pants and underwear with running shorts with a liner ditched the undies. And a pair of wind pants. This kit is for temps down to high 30s at night but the daytime temps are hovering at 70-80 so wearable insulations isn't a big deal if I'm cold before bed or when packing up I wear my quilt or my wind pants and shirt. Sorry for the lack of info guys this is my gram wennie app that the gear lists are on and I name things what I call them so sometimes names make no sense

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools