Topic

Ants in my pants

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

This has been troubling me for quite some time… can anyone advise on how to do the "ants in your pants" dance? Sorry, too much sugar in my morning coffee.

So, I never realized how many ants and things crawl on my head at night until I started wearing my windshirt to sleep. I put the hood up over my beanie and those darn ants (the XL type seen in the Sierras etc) make their way in between the beanie and hood. I can hear them scratching around in there; their little legs make a racket on that fabric! I don't mind a few stray ants on my person, but all the scratching noise right next to my ear is a bit much. Anyone else experience this? Do you have any tricks to keep them off your head, like garlic necklace etc…

I use Permethrin on all of my clothes but the ants don't seem deterred by it. Does that mean I'm not getting good adherence of the chemical to my clothes? Maybe the ants just aren't deterred by it?

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Headnet.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

+1 on the headnet. Replace your beanie with a brimmed hat to keep it off your face.

Jacob D
    BPL Member

@jacobd

Locale: North Bay

Thanks guys. Headnet did occur to me, but I don't like them, especially sleeping while wearing one. I haven't tried the brimmed hat approach before though.

Any thoughts on the lack of effectiveness of permethrin? Seems like it should keep the ants out; possible I'm not getting good adherence? Maybe I need to reapply but it wasn't too long ago that I did.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools