Topic

Advice for Women’s Footwear

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Advice for Women’s Footwear

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jolly Green Giant
    BPL Member

@regultr

Locale: www.jolly-green-giant.blogspot.com

So my wife is going to accompany me on a decent hike this fall and I've been slowly accumulating gear for her of the lightweight persuasion. This would be her first outdoor event other than car camping.

So the one piece of gear for which I have no insight is women’s footwear. I’m looking for both breathable trail runners and Gore-Tex trail runners as I want to make sure I have options depending on her preferences.

So, any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diane Pinkers
    BPL Member

@dipink

Locale: Western Washington

This is such an individual thing, she needs to find what's comfortable. I have been using the Inov-8 Roclite 288GTX boots, and really find them comfortable. Inov8 has a "performance" last and an "endurance" last, which have slightly different shaped foot-beds, so pay attention to which shoe has what–go to http://www.inov-8.com, and click on the product link. Viewing each individual style will show you which last it uses in the icons to the left of the shoe. They also have a women's specific last for some of their shoes. The other thing I like about them is that they have switchable insoles, with different thicknesses–I can use the 6mm footbed in my left foot, and the 3mm footbed in my right foot, which has higher volume and tends to get pinched in the instep. I find many of their shoes shopping through http://www.zappos.com. The only problem with Inov-8's boots is that they are all gortex boots. Not a problem for me, but many people on this web-site are adamant about no gortex footwear.

Jennifer McFarlane
    BPL Member

@jennymcfarlane

Locale: Southern California

Each persons foot is different.
    I'd recommend she go to a running shoe shop and try on lot's of pairs of shoes, and figure out which fit her the best.
    If she already has a running shoe she likes, I'd go with that. .
    I tried a trail runner from Asics on my last trip- worked out pretty well- no real issues even though one day was constant rain or hail. I did get a couple of small blisters, but my feet were so cold I didn't realize it was happening. I needed to retie my shoes- I could tell the fit had become sloppy in the wrong places-so it was my fault for not thinking about it.

Thomas Jamrog

@balrog

Locale: New England

If your wife is moving from heavy hiking to lighter weight, I'd suggest Keen Targhee II boots in one and a half sizes larger than she usually wears. Silicone heel pads under the insole, and soft wool socks like smartwool hikers. This is a great shoe for eastern trails, and with this combo no blisters and very comfortable hiking. They make a low shoe, as well. Ugly as sin, but wicked kind to feet. If she hasn't hiked at all, maybe trail runners, which she needs to choose and get fitted. Have a blast, you guys,
    Marcia Jamrog, Auntie Mame '08

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools