Topic

GNP Long Overdue!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports GNP Long Overdue!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Locale: Southeast

This is a long overdue trip report. I have to appologize that I did not get this in earlier. Life gets in the way:

It's been almost a year to out last venture to GNP. This time we went with some friends that were not comfortable with camping in the back country. The thought of grizzlies roaming around did not appear to be so appealing to them. So we decided not to push the issue and just do some day hiking (my wife was not happy with that concession) But we must compromise (you hearing that congress!)

Child in tow

The Mountain goats were really friendly at Logan Pass:

Mountain Goats

Falls at Avalanche Lake:

Avalanche Lake

Grinnell Glacier

Gorgeous Day at Two Medicine Lake:

Two Medicine Lake

Our Friends Nate and Sandy (Bear scared!)Bear Scared

Say What:

Say What

Storms moving in. We got caught in this storm and it produced pretty strong lightning. We had to assume the lightning position as we were exposed on a high ridge. It was quite unnerving for about 45 minutes until it passed. I felt the hair on the back of my neck stand up and that is not a good sign!

Storm

Nice View:

Nice View

Grizz or black bear. I did not want to stay around to figure it out especially since it was eating!

Grizz

Grizz

Grizz

I'm going with Grizz on this one!

Grizz

Flower

Flower

Snow on the trail leading to Piegan Pass:

Piegan Pass

The wild flowers were in bloom. It was really nice to see them bursting with colors. We usually find ourselves at GNP in late September but this time going in early August really paid off!

Flowers

Cool example of rock strata formations. By the way it's getting ready to storm again:

Rock layers

Hey little fella:

Marmot

View

Beaver doing its thing:

Beaver

Man, I need to find a way to live here!

Nice view Ric

Rock'n it:

Rockn it

Marmot

Rams

Flower

Flower

I'm a huge advocate of bear spray. I mean bear spray, bear spray, bear spray; get the point. We also make sure we call out frequently. It's probably over kill but you can't be too safe. Case in point. We were headed up to Granite Park – making more than enough noise. So about 1 mile to a half mile away from the Chalet we stopped in a nice flower meadow to take pictures. The next thing I know I hear (silently) "S#@t, bears. I turned and I saw three bears through the heavy brush. A sow and her two cubs about 15 yards through the trees. "Crap, how did we get so close and not see them! I'm so better than this", I thought too myself. Here was my mistake (no harm no foul thank God). Earlier I got frustrated with my bear mace constantly falling off my waist strap when I would remove my pack so I placed it in a location not easily accessible. Fast forward. Now I can't reach my bear spray and have to ask one of my friends to get it. If those bears (bear) would have charged I would not have been able to deploy the spray. Lesson learned!! I do believe that the bears new we were coming because we were loud (on purpose) and they just wanted to go about their way. When we reached the Chalet we reported the sighting. The Ranger really interrogated us. We learned that our description fit the bears that had an encounter with Jack Hanna (they called it the Jack Hanna bear). They said they had problems with the cubs. They are too old to be with the sow and need to head off on their own.

The Rangers decided to go down the trail to see if they could push the bears into another valley away form hikers. Too close an encounter her is the photo my wife shot before noticing the bears:

Grizz

Marmot

Couple

Goat

The Crew:

Crew

view

grass

view

Tripple Divide Pass:

Divide

divide

Do not even think about it (actually too late):

mice

Told you it was too late:

attack

The ladies:

ladies

Dinner time:

dinner

Hands Off! (Cattle Baron Supper Club – It was awesome):

Yum Steak

steak

shana

Nate, Sandy Coyt:

the guys

Cartoon like:

cartoon

Ric and Sandy:

snady ric

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

Nice report and great pictures. Thanks for posting this

Dan Briggs

@dbriggs9

WOW. Without a doubt, some of the best photos I've seen on here. Can't wait to get out to Glacier.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Had a ribeye at the Cattle Baron last night. Good local colour.

The bear in the close ups is definitely a Griz.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Nice pics

francis siracusa
    BPL Member

@fsiracusa

Locale: Northeast

Grinnel Glacier 8/2010

Nice Ric. Your camera lens must be larger than mine…OR…not supposed to pet the wildlife!!!!

Frank

Richard Rini
    BPL Member

@rarini

Have not heard from you in awhile. Nice to hear from you. It was a pretty good lens Shana had on that camera. I'm not going to get that close to a hungry bear. Hope all is well with you. We should try for a reunion some time! Who knows maybe Mike C and Sam H. could join?

Diana Vann
    BPL Member

@dianav

Locale: Wandering

Great trip report. Awesome photos! Thanks for sharing.

Thomas Burns
    BPL Member

@nerdboy52

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."

Oy, you got up close and personal with some of those grizzlies. Great pics. And that is the best looking steak dinner I have seen in a long, long time.

Stargazer

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

Great trip and pics!

I don't see what all of the concern was about. That's a marmot, not a grizzly. ;-)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools