Topic

Dyneema waterproof?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Dyneema waterproof?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

I just got a new Golite Jam and I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on how waterproof it is. Would it soak through in a heavy rain?

Thanks,
    Gabe

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

The fabric itself won't absorb any water, but any stitching, seams, etc, can allow water to seep through.

CW
    BPL Member

@simplespirit

Locale: .

The fabric has a PU coating, so it's waterproof until the coating wears off. Water can still enter through seams unless you seal them.

a b

@ice-axe

When it is brand new the Dyneema fabric will seem very water resistant. (Owned two Golite Pinnacles, put 1,200 and 1465 miles on them respectively).
    The seams will always leak some water.
    The fabric body of the pack will eventuallty grow less and less water resistant after abrasion and wear. Eventually the fabric will absorb water and essentially "wet-out".
    You could go to the trouble of seam sealing and spray on fabric treatments.. but why?
    Pack covers are cute and all but in serious weather they ALWAYS fail in some way.
    They do however make a good first line of defense.
    All you need to insure your gear stays dry inside any pack is a plastic garbage bag.
    If you want to get fancy you can use a Nylo-fume bag or one of the heavy duty pack liners sold by equiptment manufacturers.
    The most common form of packline I have seen has been a simple garbage compactor bag.
    Put your sleeping bag and insulating clothing inside and roll the top down. Done deal.
    As an interesting side not; I found that my worn dyneema pack, when soaked with rain, gained the same weight as my packcover at 4 ounces. Since i was carrying the 4 ounce packcover 100% of the time, rain or shine, it made sense to me to ditch the pack cover and let the pack get wet. It dries quickly when the rain stops and my pack liner bag never fails to keep my gear dry.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

And it is Dyneema reinforced, not all Dyneemam mostly nylon. Note that Cilogear makes some packs of 210d Dyneema Oxford cloth and they run $500 or so. That fabric is waterproof to 200psi. As Matt said, the seams aren't.

#1 on a liner. I prefer trash compactor bags as they are smaller than the heavy duty trash bags and tougher.

And for a dry pack inside and out, use a poncho for rain gear. No wet back panel and shoulder straps and everything inside is protected– I still line the pack for clothing and sleeping gear.

Gabe Joyes

@gabe_joyes

Locale: Lander, WY

Thanks everybody. I was trying decide if a trash bag liner was worthwhile, but it sounds like it probably is. Now lets all get off our computers and go hike!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, pack liners work. I've use them for canoeing in Canada. But… if you have external pockets what about them? "Pocket liners"? Another PITA.

So far I've found that careful seam sealing, inside and out, of the pack's back (the part next to your back) and using a silnylon pack cover works well in heavy rains.

In any case I ALWAYS put my down bag, down jacket and spare clothing in 3 separate Outdoor Products lightweight roll-top waterproof bags.

But perhaps the berst answer is wearing a Packa. :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools