Topic

Pack pocket 3/4 ridgerest

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Pack pocket 3/4 ridgerest

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Casey Balza

@equals

Does anyone know of a pack that will hold a 3/4 length ridgerest in the pad pocket?

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

yes, the starlite holds it perfect. It does not need to be scored and folded or any such nonsense, just loosely roll it in the same width as the pocket and shove it in. Below 20-22 lbs it is amazingly comfortable and a great combination.

Above 20 lbs, when I tried the starlite I had no problem with the pack at any weight, It was not a pack buckling issue , rather I found that the weight would not stay off my shoulders above 25 lbs. I could adjust the pack and walk around, and over the next few min the weight would just drop onto my shoulders. The belt-to-pack connection began sagging at 30 lbs, and the belt did not grip my hips well and the belt slid down too in the back. It was unuseable on me at 35 lbs.

I tried the circuit and found it could carry 40+ lbs rock solid. I use 2 GG torso pads inside for support (5.3 oz vs. 9 oz for ridgerest)even with no stay. Better belt that doesnt slip on my hips, and better pack/belt connection with velcro on both sides of the belt, and more velcro area (wider belt) It seems strange since the belt is not stiffer than the starlites, but it doesnt begin to sag and collapse where it is attached, and the starlites belt actually was buckling at top of connection at 35 lbs.

Casey Balza

@equals

I assume if that works with the starlite then the swift will work too?

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Both the Traveler and the Starlight will hold 3/4 Ridgerest pads in their external pad pockets.

Our Travelers also hold a deflated 20×66 inch Thermarest Prolite Plus.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Locale: Rockies

The ULA Ohm has elastic straps inside the pack that hold a 3/4 Ridgerest folded in forths. I really like the Ohm, very functional, and the service from ULA was outstanding.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

It will fit into a Swift too.

Casey Balza

@equals

Awesome, because the two packs that I am still debating on and changing my mind about each day is between the ULA Ohm and the SMD swift. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Eugene Smith
    BPL Member

@eugeneius

Locale: Nuevo Mexico

Casey,

Get the Ohm.

Torso length pads or 3/4 length sleeping pads folded into 1/3rds are easily slipped under the elastic pad straps inside the Ohm-makes for a very stable load. Between the delrin hoop, sleeping pad 'framesheet', and load lifters, the Ohm carries loads like butter.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

both are good packs. Highly recommend trying out whatever you choose with max weight first and returning if find it doesnt work.

From ULA website: The OHM

Is your load weight almost always under 22#s and you are willing to suffer mightily if you get up to 25 or 30#s?

You are also aware of the fact that this pack has no back padding to speak of, a smaller waist belt, and that the belt and shoulder straps are fixed, ie, no adjustment possible.

If all the above fits you, then you may want to consider the Ohm Backpack, but not until you come up with a good reason not to spend the extra $25 and get a Circuit Backpack. If you are hiking the PCT or the AT or the JMT this is probably not the pack for you, even though the light weight is very tempting.

If you have a lot of experience or are a total gram weenie and plan to be at the head of the pack then the Ohm Backpack might just work for you.

Casey Balza

@equals

Any ULA circuit owners out there? I was curious how you pack a foam sleeping pad? I didn't see anywhere about the circuit having a pad pocket.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I didn't see anywhere about the circuit having a pad pocket."
    Read Eugene's post above, extrapolate to the Circuit.

Ohm…….23 ounces
    Circuit…..36 ounces (~300 ci bigger, external fixed backpad)

Same Suspension.

Konrad .
    BPL Member

@konrad1013

Greg, doesn't the Circuit also have a single vertical aluminum stay that the Ohm does not?

Also, if the circuit suspension is anything like the catalyst suspension, then both should have a very rigid foam sheet

I also do not believe that the circuit has a pad pocket for your own inflatable mat

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Casey,

Chris at ULA is very helpful, send him an email or give them a call.

I have the Ohm, have only had it out a few times on 1 and 2 night trips. The straps inside hold the 3/4 Ridgerest well, I stuff the quilt in the bottom, then shelter (in an over sized stuff sack), and have plenty of room, I have not come close to filling the extension collar with three season clothing. I think the Bear Vault 450 will fit in there as well. I like the mesh outside pocket for rain gear, etc. The best part are the side pockets which are huge and can be reached easily. I went with a large hipbelt even though I only have a 32" waist, it warps around better and the hipbelt pockets are huge on it.

It may be a little small for longer trips or colder weather, it just depends on your what you are going to use it for.
    You could order both the Ohm and Circuit then send one back.

Eric

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Konrad –

"Greg, doesn't the Circuit also have a single vertical aluminum stay that the Ohm does not?"

You may be right, but the ULA website states on the Circuit –

"…It still utilizes a 1.2 oz carbon fiber and delrin suspension hoop in conjunction with a dense internal foam frame…"

Casey Balza

@equals

I'm just trying to get some insight about three packs, swift, ohm and circuit for a PCT through hike next year. My base weight is at 11 lbs (with with ohm on my spreadsheet) and I am looking at probably going down to as low as 10 lbs. I think my gear will fit easily in all of these packs. My only concern is being able to carry lots and lots of food and water. And I would also like this pack to do more than just a through hike I would like it for weekend trips as well. I've been debating on what pack to get for a couple of weeks now and I change my mind several times throughout the day. I looked at some other packs as well but I think the three I mentioned will work best for me. Now I just got paid and I need to buy a pack so I can use it for the summer and replace my 4 pound pack.

The reason I was curious about the circuit having a pad pocket is because I use a 3/4 length ridgerest foam pad and I don't want to strap it on the outside.

And a little bit about my setup.
    I use a bivy with a poncho tarp. (no other rain gear)I would have to say besides the current pack I have now the heaviest item I have is my Marmot Pinnacle 15 degree sleeping bag. It can take up a lot of volume if I don't have it in the stuff sack. I am assuming though if I go with the ohm I may have to put it in the stuff sack if I want to carry 7-10 days worth of food.

What do you guys think I should get. I only have money for one pack and don't want to waste money on shipping packs back.

Eric Swab

@ericswab

Check out this link:

http://www.ula-equipment.com/buying-the-right-ula-backpack-for-your-adventure.asp

You might get some ideas from the current SOTM pack articles as well.

Anonymous
    Inactive

"Greg, doesn't the Circuit also have a single vertical aluminum stay that the Ohm does not?"

The newer model of the Circuit definitely has the aluminum stay. I personally removed and replaced one in its sleeve on a friend's pack about a week ago to demo for him the how and where of it.

Edited for spelling

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Yes the circuit has a removeable aluminum 2 oz stay right in the center of the back. The carbon fiber/delrin stay is removeable as well.(carbon rods on sides, plastic hoop across top)

There are 2 foam layers (high density and lower density) in the backpanel so that the Aluminum stay doesnt press into your back, and to prevent other hard items in the pack from digging into your back.

You can use the circuit without a pad for additional support/cushioning because of foam backpanel and carbon fiber stays. When you exceed some weight, depending on how its packed, the backpanel might buckle, hence the newer al stay they added.

There is no specific place inside to put a pad. Just put it in. I fold mine and put against my back. Then wedge by sleeping bag into the bottom, which creates the rounded shape at bottom and holds the pad in place against my back.

With the pad inside, there is no need for the Al stay (2oz) or foam layers in the backpanel (2oz). If stayed under 20 and packed right, probably could take the carbon fiber stays out too, but I havent tried that.

I like 2 GG torsolites together to give full length. I have the pad run that was only 2.6oz each so my pad weighs 5.2 oz. With pad inside it takes up probably half the pack, but still room for 5 days food or so. Put in Al stay and the foam backpanel , and strap pad to back or top, and could carry 10 days food.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools