Topic

Firestarter as stove lighter?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Firestarter as stove lighter?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Mark Watson

@mwbike

Locale: Northwest

What do you light alcohol stoves with?

I’ve never used an alcohol stove. But I’ve seen others do it (pepsi-can-type), with a Bic-lighter. And they almost burned their hand from turning the lighter upside-down & when the primer-pan lit.

I was thinking of using a Firesteel or Spark-Lite to light it. Would this work? What are the potential problems?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

Laurie Ann March

@laurie_ann

Locale: Ontario, Canada

we use a firesteel and priming tray – according to my hubby it lets him keep the hair on his knuckles

D T
    BPL Member

@dealtoyo

Locale: Mt Hood

I’ve used several differant alcohol stoves- home made pepsi, Vargo Triad XE, and currently use a Brasslite Turbo F. I’ve used lighters before but never again. Lighters usually place your hand too close to the fuel. The best that I’ve found is a plain old wooden match. Not as fancy or as cool as a Firesteel or Spark-Lite but just as effective and there’s no need to aim the spark anywhere. Just touch the lit match to the alcohol and you’re off and running.

Douglas Frick
    BPL Member

@otter

Locale: Wyoming

> What do you light alcohol stoves with?

I don’t like using up my matches, so I generally use my Spark-Lite (0.2 oz), which I carry along with the rest of the Spark-Lite Kit (+0.5 oz). It works well, requiring only one or two flicks to light my stove. I use it with both primed and center-lighting stoves. The Firesteel (1.1 oz) makes more sparks than the Spark-Lite, and will probably last longer.

I also have a refillable Solo Extend-A-Flame Lighter (1.4 oz) which can be extended about two inches. I usually only bring it when hiking with a group, when somebody else might need to borrow it to light a gas stove.

Pamela Wyant

@riverrunner

I usually just use matches.
    I've also had good luck dipping a small twig into the alcohol in the stove reservoir, lighting the twig with a lighter, and then using the burning twig to light the stove.

G Cowen
    Spectator

@coweng

I use a firesteel to light my stove no problem. I ditched the steel striker and use my knife…

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

I have only used matches & bics but what about a trimmed down piezo starter with a small bit of wire to the primer pan? Anyone used this method? They aren't very heavy, but it would be more single use than most other methods.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

yeah, running the wires to the al stove could work… if you take apart one of those long-stem fireplace lighters, the've got a little piezo in them… it makes a nice shock stick too…

James Pitts

@jjpitts

Locale: Midwest US

Sparklite. Works really well. I still carry a mini Bic lighter but I save that for if I must make a fire.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

When I first started using alky stoves, I made a piezo lighter by vandalizing a fireplace lighter and making an extension to the piezo unit from an aluminum arrow shaft with a vented and wind-protected wicking tip . It worked great in the house. Unfortunately, and to my lasting disappointment, it did not work at temps below 50 degrees. The electric spark needs a fuel-laden atmosphere. It cannot ignite liquid alcohol. Even with a wick to encourage vaporization, it wouldn't work.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Hey Mark,

I use a Spark-Lite. I keep a second Spark-Lite in my fire kit as a backup to my stove-dedicated one and also as a…well, a fire starter for my fire kit.

Never have had a problem with burned fingers, but then again, as a cat owner, I'm quick. (Although the thought has occassionally occured to me that if my cats were large enough, they'd probably eat me…Hmmm).

Eric

Terry Boldt

@teedee

"Never have had a problem with burned fingers, but then again, as a cat owner, I'm quick."

Hmmm – from my experience I've always thought it the other way around – cats are human owners.

Eric Eaton

@ericeaton

Yep, true enough.

Some days I feel lucky they let me live here.

Other times, I wish I could die and come back as a cat in my house – with two servants named "Can-Opener" and plenty of nice furniture to sharpen my claws on, and nice sunny spots to nap in…

Eric

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I use pepsi, Trangia, and a Brasslite Turbo F. I dip my eating utensil in the alcohol, light it, and use the flame to start the stove. Sparklite is good, but I conserve those "1000" available sparks and use a mini-bic if I have it.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Matches work fine. The spark igniter sold at this website works, too, but matches work best.

JASON CUZZETTO
    BPL Member

@cuzzettj

Locale: NorCal - South Bay

I know I a bit late on this but I use fire steel all of the time. It lights every type of stove I have, from alcohol to canister. The life of the fire steel is what I like best. I have had bics get stuck open in my pack. I pack them in a case now… if I bring them at all.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Jason, a Bic will still light a butane stove when out of gas– the spark wheel still does it. Some brands of lighters (Cricket is one) come with childproof locks that also keep them from dumping fuel. An o-ring added to the fuel lever on the Bic will lock it and prevent fuel leaks.

I agree, a firesteel throws a good shower of sparks. To light an Esbit, I put it right down on the fuel tab and spark away. Add a little alcohol gel hand cleaner and you can get the Esbit going with one stroke on the firesteel.

Dan Yeruski
    BPL Member

@zelph

Locale: www.bplite.com

The last 1/4 inch of your ferrocerium rod is where your hottest spark will come from. I made my own ferro rod holder using the replacement flints for welding torch ignitors. I now carry with me a small ferro rod on my keychain and a single edge razor blade in my wallet. I always have my keys and wallet with me 24/7. Always prepared. The razor blade is wha I use to Flick-off a good spark right where I want it.

Here is some good information pertaining to Sparks http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=22612&highlight=fire+starter

Here is a photo of my keyring ferro rod. The day that the photo was taken is the day I replaced the well worn/used one on my keyring.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools