Topic

Yosemite North Rim 2011

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Yosemite North Rim 2011

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Scott Nelson
    BPL Member

@nlsscott

Locale: Southern California and Sierras

With all the snow and high water crossings in the the Sierra, my buddy and I opted to do the Yosemite North Rim July 23-26, 2011. This was 3 and 1/2 days of generally mellow hiking. The details for the hike are on the Backpacking Magazine website. We found the gps waypoints helpful for the first day thru the "Rockslides" becasue the trrail is not on the map. The scrambling up the last rockslide was not difficult. I found that roadbed continues on past where the BP Mag article suggests you climb. We followed the article's suggested route. The roadbed continues on for about a 1/2 mile past the last rockslide but climbing up to the desired road level will entail a bush wack through loose sand and poison oak. Trust the gps and use the rocks. After meeting the trail and going to Cascade creek, we had a fun, warm, hike the rest for the way, including the top of El Capitan, and camping above Yosemite Falls, and the Snowcreek trail. Our favorite waterfall was along Snowcreek, but it was not esily photographed. Bugs did not seem to be a problem but I still discovered bites I didn't know about. The only place we met crowds was the top of Yosemite Falls. We also ran into a large (50-60 folks) gathering of Native Americans at the top of the Snowcreek trail.Climbing RockslidesRockslidesHalf Dome from Snowcreek CampSnowcreek campWhy we leave the Valley in July! -Scott

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools