Topic

SUL Tarps w/out bivies

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    john chong
    BPL Member

@johnch

What do you think is the perfect dimension for a SUL tarp that has good rain coverage. I saw adventure alan using his oware cattarp 1.5 cuben for his XUL, and said that it provided plenty of coverage. It was pretty much 9x7x5. What are some good options out there? Zpacks offer custom sizing, and I can probably go with that one. I've been using a poncho tarp, but I realized that it might be better to go with a cuben tarp >~4oz + driducks ~5oz, than a windshirt ~4oz and a golite poncho tarp 7oz+~6oz bivy.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I would want an 8×10 minimum with no bivy, but then I'm chicken that way :) http://zpacks.com/shelter/hammock_tarps.shtml

That is why the SMD Gatewood Cape exists. You get 360° protection, rain gear and pack cover for 11oz weight. You can turn it into a double-wall with floor and bug screen for another 7oz. You need 6 Ti stakes and one trekking pole, or SMD's pole, or a stick to make it work.

Bivies will give good protection under a small tarp, but they have their own issues– cramped, condensation, durability, etc.

Bryce
    BPL Member

@antigroundhogday

Locale: Stamford, CT

…over on my thread:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=51106&nid=433755

I think I'd be absolutely fine with 8 x 8 tarp, and possibly could go down to 9 x 7.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools