Topic

Wow – Lots of snow in the Wind River Range

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Wow – Lots of snow in the Wind River Range

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Michael Moomaw
    BPL Member

@mmoomaw

Just a quick note… we were in the Wind River Range from July 17th – 24th.

We encountered surprising amounts of snow above about 10.8k ft. Miles of trails were up to 80% covered with snow and some of the higher lakes (including the Upper Jean and Elbow Lakes) were mostly frozen. A few of the trails cut into hillsides were tough to pass because the trail cuts were filled with snow (i.e. there was no cut).

Our trip worked out fine. We hiked down and around some of the stepper passes (braver or better equipped hikers might have gone through). Specifically we did not climb out of the north side of Bald Mtn Basin and we hiked around Shannon/Cube Rock/Vista Passes (via Summit Lake). Otherwise, we hiked on snow a lot.

-Mike

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Melting real fast. We backpacked in the southern Winds July 25-27, from Big Sandy up to Middle Fork Lake, then over Kagevah Pass and down (via Tepee Pass) to Grave Lake, then back via the Lizard Head Trail & Cirque of the Towers. Anyway, while there was snow to cross I would say that crossing snow was not an "issue". Lots of wet trails & LOTS of mosquitos (which should be tapering off soon). Great trip – those trails in the reservation on the east side are very primative and sometimes difficult to follow.

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

I am headed in for a week or two Sept 2nd. I don't mind the snow but the bugs drive me nuts! Was the snow consolidated enough for travel throughout the day or did you experience post holing up high?

I will be in the northern half and up above 11,000 feet and off trail for as long as possible. This may be more of a "winter" trip in terms of footwear and evening dips are going to be very chilly. A few years ago I was up at the same time and we received a little over 2 feet of snow.

How where the day and night time temps? Did it consistently get below freezing each night? Thanks in advance.

Peter Bakwin
    BPL Member

@pbakwin

Snow mostly consolidated – no postholing. But there wasn't much and it was mostly easy to avoid. By Sept things will be totally different. We encountered very warm nights at 10,500'. Never below freezing or even close. By Sept the bugs will be gone for sure.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools