Topic

Tetrahedron vs Pyramid tents for MYOG

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tetrahedron vs Pyramid tents for MYOG

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    al b
    BPL Member

@ahbradley

I wondered why there are several pyramid tarp/tents but no tetrahedron style tarp/tents (one less side, so perhaps lighter/less sewing).

The pole could be biased to the narrow end (ie made from unequal triangles).

http://www.learner.org/interactives/geometry/print_tetrahedron.html

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

You need maybe a 3 x 7 feet area for a person to sleep on

If you have a rectangular base tent you can more easily allocate 3 x 7 foot areas for people

But, I suppose you could have two people with their feet at one triangle point

I wonder if it would be lighter? Probably a little.

When you set up a pyramid, you have to eyeball that the base is square, or two of the ridges will be slack, with tetrahedron you wouldn't have that problem. Also, if the four corners of the pyramid aren't all on the same plane, then the tent doesn't set up right, with a tetrahedron you wouldn't have that problem – sort of like a three legged stool doesn't rock.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

A three-sided structure provides a poorer use of material for available volume than one with four sides.

I once considered the optimal shape for sidewall weight vs grate area for a wood burner (i.e. 3 sides, four sides, 5 sides…). It turns out that it's a circular grate/sidewall plan (i.e. an infinite number of 'sides')…

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

"A three-sided structure provides a poorer use of material for available volume than one with four sides.

I once considered the optimal shape for sidewall weight vs grate area for a wood burner (i.e. 3 sides, four sides, 5 sides…). It turns out that it's a circular grate/sidewall plan (i.e. an infinite number of 'sides')…"

So a yurt is best… Hmm, how to make a UL yurt…

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

bigwallshelterstuffsack

Made this one for Dean Potter. single point suspension, toss your climbing gear in the
    corners to guy it out. Very quick to set up. To be used on a ledge.

Also there is volume and their is usable volume. If sleeping people were yurt shaped, (no offense to those who might be) then a yurt shape would make sense. When you increase
    the number of sides you also make a correct set up more difficult if it is a floorless
    shelter. Things go all pear shaped.

David Olsen
    Spectator

@oware

Locale: Steptoe Butte

I also once had a 3 sided mid made by mistake. Someone out there bought and then resold it on bpl and posted pictures. It was olive colored. Maybe they might comment on how it has worked for them.

Drop Bear
    BPL Member

@dropbear

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> So a yurt is best… Hmm, how to make a UL yurt…

> Things go all pear shaped.

There is, of course, a big difference between the requirements for a wood stove grate and for a shelter…

On the other hand, if you look at a pear shape, it's actually quite a good representation of the optimal shape for a human shelter. Provided your upper body is at the fat end. The thin part of the pear accommodates the legs, and the fatter part allows room to move the arms about, and generally do stuff…

;-)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools