Topic

Source for cuben fiber / silnylon to make pad coupler

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Source for cuben fiber / silnylon to make pad coupler

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

I've been thinking about a way to join together two Big Agnes Air Core pads. Idea: Take two strips of UL silnylon or cuben fiber, sew them together to make a loop, then sew them in the middle to make two pockets into which to insert the pads. Could also be useful for holding on a closed-cell foam pad to your Aircore pad so it doesn't slip around. Maybe even make a strip to hold your pillow in place? (Can't go with my WM Cloudrest). You could sew the strap to the pillow cover and then slip the strip over the pad to hold it is in place. Voila!

http://www.backcountry.com/western-mountaineering-cloudrest-down-pillow

Does anyone know where I can buy some suitable fabric? Or does anyone have any to donate/sell?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington
    Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

Thanks, I think I'm going to order some uncoated 1.1 oz nylon and try to do this project. Cuben fiber is probably half the weight but triple the cost.

The lady on the phone was helpful, too.

Andrew S
    BPL Member

@juggleandhope

how did this work?

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Noticed with the last inquiry about sourcing Cuben that it was no longer on the Quest menu, either as Cuben or its latest iteration from Dyneema. Kind of ironic, as Quest was the first materials retailer to push Cuben, sending out free samples to many of its customers.
    Did I miss something?

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

I talked to Kay about it last year and she said Dyneema Corp. was a pain to work with and it just wasn’t worth the trouble so they dropped it from their offerings.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools