Topic

Semi-circular batten/stiffener for vent on pyramid tent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Semi-circular batten/stiffener for vent on pyramid tent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I just completed my 11 foot pyramid tent (full post coming after I get back from Denali and the Kenai Peninsula in Alaska in mid-August). I installed a vent near the apex (a la MLD Supermid) and needed some sort of batten to hold the vent open. It had to be fairly stiff, pliable, light and on the soft side, about 14" long, and it had to deploy in a semi-circle. I considered metal, plastic, fiberglass, etc.

Finally a friend suggested using 1/4" poly tubing, the milky-white kind (not the really soft clear stuff). It worked perfectly, it is available in most hardware stores, and it costs next to nothing. I have no idea what MLD uses.

I will post pictures when I show off my new tent after returning from Alaska.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

another option i have used is cord from the weed-eater (thanx Roger C for that idea) just like your tubing it can be stuffed and it pops out once unstuffed.

-Tim

Stuart R
    BPL Member

@scunnered

Locale: Scotland

I used plastic (as opposed to plastic coated steel) 'boning'. This stuff is normally used in dressmaking for wedding dresses and theatrical costumes. It is light and about the right stiffness/flexibility and comes in various widths. It's name comes from when whale bone was used in Victorian times.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I've used weed eater cord, which worked pretty good

But, it comes so tightly wound on the reel that it's a little difficult to get to straigten out enough to make a good vent stiffener.

But, I got it to work.

You can take a long length, stretch it out, maybe in the sun, leave it for a few days, straightens it a little.

But, I found a small vent doesn't really do that much. To prevent condensation you need a large vent, like leaving the door open, that's better.

Kevin Beeden
    BPL Member

@captain_paranoia

Locale: UK

> I used plastic (as opposed to plastic coated steel) 'boning'.

I once suggested a friend used tubes used to hold surface-mount (SO) ICs for boning, as they're light, flexible, stiff (being a tube), and, above all, cheap, if you know an electronics manufacturer…

Kevin @ Seek Outside
    BPL Member

@ktimm

Locale: Colorado (SeekOutside)

zip ties work well

Tohru Ohnuki

@erdferkel

Locale: S. California

+1 on zipties

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools