Topic

pheonix to flagstaff area overnighters? getting back to hiking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips pheonix to flagstaff area overnighters? getting back to hiking

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jared Cook

@rooinater

Locale: Northwet

well when i was younger we did some day hiking. but when i got into the corp i really enjoyed the backpacking portion of boot and mct. i keep meaning to get out and go hike. but between all the deployments, moving and broken vehicles i haven’t been able to go. but i’ve been collecting my gear the whole time…. and i only have 7 more months to hike arizona before i’m back in washington state.

well off the novel, i’m looking for some places to go hiking 1 to 2 nights some where between pheonix and flagstaff area. i’m presently stationed in yuma, az. and what would be the best times of year to hit places like the grand canyon ?

all help is appreciated thanks.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Jared,
    You might look into Sycamore Canyon Wilderness. Enter from the end of the road on the north bank of the Verde River out of Clarkdale. Fairly easy in and out. You'll have to deal with weather this time of year. But WTH. Also re. the GC. My all time favorite is Thunder River. North Rim south of Knab, UT. Very remote. Hard to get to until the snow melts in the spring or you want to wait until late fall.

Let me know where you end up.

Denis

Steve Thompson
    BPL Member

@stevet

Locale: Southwest

Time for Grand Canyon is now through May. Best opportunity to score a permit is during the week. Other spots within reasonable distance from Yuma.

Santa Catalina's, Saguaro National Park, Santa Rita's all near Tucson. Plenty of low elevation hiking if there is snow. If not add mountain hiking to the mix (albeit cold)

Mazatzal (see burn area recovery), Superstition Wilderness, Highline Trail all near Phoenix.

Many more places out there, but these I am familiar with. Steve

les lloyd
    BPL Member

@denaliguide

Locale: new zealand & alaska

try the royal arch loop on the south rim of the grand canyon. starts at the south bass canyon trailhead. it can be done in 3 days if you are fit. 35 miles or so. leave a gallon of water on the esplanade on the way down and coming out south bass canyon will be that much easier. this is supposedly the most difficult of the nps recognized hikes on the south rim. route finding is not really difficult but a short required rappell dictates going down royal arch canyon instead of up. i did this in april of last year as a solo trip. it was wonderful. water can be a big issue. i carried 2 gallons because there is the possibility of dry camps. you will most likely not encounter anyone else on this route until coming out south bass canyon due to its one way nature.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools