Topic

New idea for UL insulated “jacket”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear New idea for UL insulated “jacket”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Andy Goodell

@geekguyandy

Locale: New York State

When you are hiking the pack helps keep your back warm, and when you are sleeping the pad leeps your back warm. Why not fashing a jacket that is just insulated in the front side? It could be extremely light, and be able to keep you warm while hiking or add a few more degrees to your sleeping bag. I just bought a Montbell Alpine Down Hugger 3 and am hoping to fashion this jacket from a GoLite Wisp and try this out.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have an LL Bean shelled fleece jacket that is kind of like that– fleece in the sleeves, back, and front, but none on the sides or shoulders. Sounds weird but it works– it breathes well.

Nathan Moody
    BPL Member

@atomick

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I have an older TNF Moxie 1/4 zip that is very similar: highly windproof stretch fabric arms and front panel, with an almost-mesh backpanel. The perfect midlayer for backpacking (albeit heavy compared to a windshirt).

I think the challenge, though, is the “interface” between packing and sleeping; it’s when I’m doing camp setup, chores, lazing about, and eating that I get the coldest. However, in combo with any down piece that can be draped, like a quilt, it’d be an interesting item.

However I doubt that a bigger manufacturer would ever make a profit selling such a niche product, even for this community. Perfect for a new cottage-industry manufacturer, though..! :-)

Einstein X
    BPL Member

@einsteinx

Locale: The Netherlands

>and when you are sleeping the pad keeps your back warm….
    >…..or add a few more degrees to your sleeping bag

Uhm yeah, but you’d have to ly on your back the whole night. For hiking i think it’s an excelent idea, it wouldn’t work for me while sleeping cause i toss and turn to much.

Eins

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools