Topic

Loss of appetite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Loss of appetite

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tom Howard
    Spectator

@tomhoward

Locale: SF Bay Area

Hi all
    This is my first time posting, long time staulker.
    Last week my son and I hike into the Lyell Canyon had a great time and ended up day hiking up to Donahue pass.
    My problem was I lost my appetie on the second day. Nothing sounded good. I was able to drink water and some flavored drinks
    but no solid foods. We carried an assortment of MH foods and some home made freezer bag foods plus cliff bars and oatmeal.
    Any suggestion would be appreciated.
    Thanks Tom

Mary D
    BPL Member

@hikinggranny

Locale: Gateway to Columbia River Gorge

You went from sea level up to 11,600 feet in a very short time. Loss of appetite is a typical symptom of altitude sickness. You're lucky that this was your only problem!

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/safety/altitude.html

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

If you are hiking hard for a long time, most of your circulatory system is supplying your large muscles, and there is little left over for digestion. As a result, you may eat a snack, and the lump will just sit there in your stomach. With that happening, your appetite won't be much.

This may not be a solution for everybody, but it works for me. I can go a long way on Gatorade. Also, I carry something really small and simple, like jelly beans. That will get me through the hard work until I can take a break. Then a small but substantial snack will be good.

–B.G.–

Bob Gross
    BPL Member

@b-g-2-2

Locale: Silicon Valley

"You went from sea level up to 11,600 feet in a very short time."

How did you assume that this was in a very short time?

–B.G.–

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

He said on the 2nd day…so that would be a short time most likely.

Totally, totally normal to lose your appetite at altitude!! This is why I pack thin brothy soups if it is going to be hot and with climbs. I can sit and drink a small cup of soup, get back needed nutrients and that helps. Whatever you do though…heavy meat and cheese is really hard on the stomach – it can easily lead to barfing it up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools