Topic

John Muir Trail – again

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips John Muir Trail – again

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

O.K., I have to officially announce this so I’ll officially get off of my butt and get a move on this.

As noted in my profile, I will be making an attempt at the John Muir Trail, (Unsupported), record next year. After reading all the past efforts, I realize the 105.5 is a joke.
    I am not Superman. It is more like a training reference to be prepared and aim for.

Everyone that reads this also needs to send Al Shaver an email, to encourage him to go for it again as well. I have talked to him and although he seems hesitant, you can tell he really wants another shot at it.

I brought this forum up to discuss any general questions that come up until I get my pack list complete and eventually post a page with the rest of the goodies to talk about.

If anybody knows any possible way to get a (non-lottery) drawn permit for Whitney or any other goodies to discuss or info you would like to know, it will definitely help get me motivated for such a dramatic attempt.

Martin Ritsi

@fmritsi

Locale: Sierra High Trail

Thanks for you answer on where to find record attempts. I'll be looking forward to seeing you success next summer. Maybe we'll see you wiz by. I'm doing JMT with son and a first trip for my daughter late July/early August. Can I pass you a Cliff Bar or is that cheating!

No ideas on the Whitney pass without the lottery, unless you start out in Yosemite, in which case thru hikers get perference and don't need the lottery. Seems like it would be easier starting there too…all the high elevation passes come near Whitney. A person would be better acclimated towards the end of the trip, I would think (or more exhausted and that is why Whitnery comes first).

Anyways good luck, go for it, and just don't SMASH the record so if we go for it in 2008 it won't be crazy on us!

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Martin,
    To tell you the truth, I would even be happy with a 7 day finish if something went wrong but was still able to keep going.
    The 2 mph is just the carrot for me to train for.
    I already ordered the rest of my goodies to finish my gear list and just want to finish everything before I post it.
    I will also have some significant funny indicator during the attempt, (other than the 1650 ci pack).
    I would never make it if I was so serious about seeing how fast I can hike a 208 mile trail that I couldn't have a little fun doing it.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

In Alaska we have the Wilderness Classic race — head to head competition has always really spurred some on to amazing times such as 150 miles in 2 days 4 hours (50 miles boating); 160 miles in 1 day 23 hours (80 miles boating). These are self-contained, carry everything start to finish events.

Aaron, have you considered inviting/challenging others to be there when you are? If even 5 people decided to show up at one time, it is likely the record would be beat and even if you are just trying to set your own persoanl record, having others there, others with similar interests and goals is exciting and inspiring.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Roman,
    The trail doesn't know who has the record on it.

Putting in the effort just to show up at the starting line is 90% of the battle.
    Anyone willing to put in that effort deserves to show up.
    At least I won't be the last one off the couch.

I am going for this attempt because it is just the type of trail and distance that suits me and will be at least 40% mental.
    On all of the "Outright" JMT record holders or fast attempts, they where still questioning if they could make it with less than 35 miles to go. The ones that didn't get those records also lost it in the last 35 miles. This was also with someone running along right beside them. All they had to do was follow the leader.
    This is what makes Reinhold’s record so amazing to me. You have to be on your game, especially being on the trail for 1 day longer that the “Speed Demons” do it in.

There are hundreds of people out there that could beat this record. Whether they are willing to put in the effort it takes to get it is another. Most of these people are already professional athletes and have schedules and training plans they stick to throughout the year to do their races.

If 5 people are interested in doing this, that's fine with me.
    I only hope to do my best anyway. Having more than 1 person just makes it a challenge within a challenge.
    We will all be on the same trail, and it will still be there after we are through with it.

Roman Dial

@romandial

Locale: packrafting NZ

Yep, Aaron, trail doesn't care, but you do AR, so you are familiar with how comp can motivate!

>On all of the "Outright" JMT record holders or fast attempts, they where still questioning if they could make it with less than 35 miles to go. The ones that didn't get those records also lost it in the last 35 miles. This was also with someone running along right beside them. All they had to do was follow the leader.
    This is what makes Reinhold’s record so amazing to me.

Tell us more about the last 35 miles? And briefly, about your strategy — 210 miles in 105 hours — seems fast but doable (115 seems a good target)– how much vertical gain? Are you going N to S or other and why? what month are you doing it?

How much food and how much gear?

Pretty amazing that Reinhold did it averaging 1.67 mph and Sawchuck in 2.27 and Sawchuck had help.

How many hours a night did Rheinhold sleep?

I am very interested in this….many Wilderness Classic winners generally sleep not at all (or 1-2 h/night) for races under 160 miles but must sleep for longer races. Are you considering bring an AR strategy to your go?

Or are you just doing it as a fast paced trip?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Roman,
    Talk strategy already. Right now it is just to get the training necessary to able to do it in the first place. If you or any one else sends me a P.M. I will gladly answer, (talk) about anything else in further detail.

The whole idea is to not have any excess anything. My pack at the start will be right at 15 pounds which I believe is lighter than any one else who has attempted the trail unsupported, (un-resupplied).

During the attempt, the strategy is easy. Just minimizing everything that takes time so I can keep moving.
    I'll know where I want to be and where I need to be. The rest is just putting one foot in front of the other.

If I don’t get the Whitney Lottery, I will hike in the back way and change packs at the portal. If I do get the lottery I will spend about 3 days at elevation. I really don’t have much of a problem at elevation anyway.

Sleep will be 3 strait hours from 9-12 at night other than the first and last night, (maybe an hour and a half), plus however many 10-20 minute naps I need.
    The first night will actually be going up Whitney. To get a good early start at the top, I'll leave to portal around 2 am.

The last 35 miles means nothing to me, (although it will make me think about being so tired at that point that I won't want to contiue).
    I will just try to stay focused between each distance on the map to keep from getting lost.

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Sounds like you have a gear list thought out already. Can you give us the highlights? What for sleeping? What pack? What else?

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Hey Don,
    I have ordered the rest of the necessities to finish my pack list.
    Most of gear list is home-made and will be the absolute lightest it can be.
    All of the gear will also be wearable. It won't matter if I'm in 25* weather with 25+ mph winds, I'll still need to keep hiking.

I will post the list as soon as I have it complete. I want to post the true weights of everything instead of what I think it is going to weigh.

Give me about a month and I will have a gear list posted on the "Gear List" forums page.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

As an update, I just finished making everything and the pack-list is complete.
    I will have it posted here or in the general topic in a few days.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools